1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Jordan canonical form of these matrices

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each matrix A, I need to find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of ## L_A ## consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. Then I need to find the Jordan canonical form of A.
    The matrices are:
    ## a)
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 1\\
    -1 & 3
    \end{pmatrix}

b)
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 2\\
    3 & 2
    \end{pmatrix}

c)
    \begin{pmatrix}
    11 & -4 & -5\\
    21 & -8 & -11\\
    3 & -1 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}

d)
    \begin{pmatrix}
    2 & 1 & & \\
    & 2 & 1 & \\
    & & 3 & \\
    & 1 & -1 & 3
    \end{pmatrix} ##

2. Relevant equations
    ## P_A(t)=det(A-tI) ##
    ## K_\lambda = \left \{ (A-\lambda I)^j \right \}, 1\leq j \leq p ## where p is the minimum value for which ## (A-\lambda I)^j(x)=0## for a generalized eigenvector x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I hope you don't mind if I link to a picture of what I have so far, as I don't want to go through the trouble of typing it all up.
    http://prntscr.com/am7si6
    The squiggles next to some of the matrices are just messily written words indicating that there is only one generalized eigenvector for a given basis.

For (a), I determined that the only basis element was (1,1)
    For (b), I found 2 single-element basis which contained (1,-1) and (1,1.5)
    For (c), I once again found that each generalized eigenspace only had one generalized eigenvector. However, what I'm not sure of is how to determine what the Jordan blocks are in this case- i.e, I don't know how to determine if
    ## J=\begin{pmatrix}
    -1 & 1 & \\
    & -1 & \\
    & & 2
    \end{pmatrix} ## or
    ##J=\begin{pmatrix}
    -1 & & \\
    & 2 & 1\\
    & & 2
    \end{pmatrix}##
    For (d), I have not yet started. I just need to confirm that my current approach of raising the power of the generalized matrices to find generalized eigenvectors is correct, and I need to know how to figure out what the Jordan blocks are.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The eigenvalues for (c) are -1,2,2 so the eigenvalue 2 has multiplicity two but eigenspace dimensionality one. Therefore, the Jordan block is for 2.

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For (a), you have a 2x2 matrix, so the basis should comprise two vectors.

5. Apr 5, 2016 #4
    How do I find the other one? For the matrix U, I don't know how I would find another eigenvector for what it is, and U2 is the zero matrix. 2 was also the only eigenvalue I was able to find.

Not on any of my assignments, but how would I do it for a matrix with multiple blocks but only one eigenvalue?

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If ##\vec{p}_1## is the eigenvector, the generalized eigenvector satisfies ##(A-\lambda I)\vec{p}_2 = \vec{p}_1##. That'll give you a more useful equation to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted