1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue and eigenvectors, bra-ket

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    Question

Consider the matrix $$
    \left[
    \matrix
    {
    0&0&-1+i \\
    0&3&0 \\
    -1-i&0&0
    }
    \right]
    $$

(a) Find the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of A. Denote the eigenvectors of A by |a1>, |a2>, |a3>. Any degenerate eigenvalues?

(b) Show that the eigenvectors |a1>, |a2>, |a3> form an orthonormal and complete basis ;
    |a1><a1|+|a2><a2|+|a3><a3|= I, where I is the 3x3 unit matrix,
    and that <aj|ak> is the Kronecker delta function

(c) Find the matrix corresponding to the operator obtained from the ket-bra product of the
    first eigenvector P=|a1><a1|. Is P a projection operator?

My attempt

I have done part (a). I got the eigenvalues as 3,√2,√2 with corresponding eigenvectors

(0 1 0) , ( (1-i)/√2 0 1 ) , ( -(1-i)/√2 0 1 )

Even after normalizing the vectors, I still can't work out part (b). I just don't get the 3x3 unit matrix.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2
    The latter two eigenvectors aren't normalized!

Also, the eigenvalue corresponding to ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix}\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 & 1\end{smallmatrix}\right)##should have the opposite sign.

4. Feb 23, 2016 #3
    The eigenvalue should have a -, must have missed it.
    I already normalized the vectors, giving

1/√(1-i)*((1−i√2) 0 1))

And it still doesn't seem to work out for me

5. Feb 23, 2016 #4
    I skimmed over that, my bad. Even so, it still isn't normalized--the magnitude is ##2##, not ##1-i##.
    Use the equation ##\|x\|=\sqrt{\langle x\;|\ x\rangle}## to recover the norm on a Hilbert space. It should always be real-valued and nonnegative.

6. Feb 23, 2016 #5
    I managed to figure out where I have been going wrong thanks to you. I have been using Euclidean inner products instead of Hermitian inner products. Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted