Eigenvalue and eigenvectors, bra-ket

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of a matrix, determining if there are any degenerate eigenvalues, and finding the matrix corresponding to a ket-bra product. It also mentions difficulties with normalizing the eigenvectors and the need to use Hermitian inner products rather than Euclidean inner products.
Samuel Williams
Question

Consider the matrix $$
\left[
\matrix
{
0&0&-1+i \\
0&3&0 \\
-1-i&0&0
}
\right]
$$

(a) Find the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of A. Denote the eigenvectors of A by |a1>, |a2>, |a3>. Any degenerate eigenvalues?

(b) Show that the eigenvectors |a1>, |a2>, |a3> form an orthonormal and complete basis ;
|a1><a1|+|a2><a2|+|a3><a3|= I, where I is the 3x3 unit matrix,
and that <aj|ak> is the Kronecker delta function

(c) Find the matrix corresponding to the operator obtained from the ket-bra product of the
first eigenvector P=|a1><a1|. Is P a projection operator?

My attempt

I have done part (a). I got the eigenvalues as 3,√2,√2 with corresponding eigenvectors

(0 1 0) , ( (1-i)/√2 0 1 ) , ( -(1-i)/√2 0 1 )

Even after normalizing the vectors, I still can't work out part (b). I just don't get the 3x3 unit matrix.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The latter two eigenvectors aren't normalized!

Also, the eigenvalue corresponding to ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix}\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 & 1\end{smallmatrix}\right)##should have the opposite sign.

The eigenvalue should have a -, must have missed it.
I already normalized the vectors, giving

1/√(1-i)*((1−i√2) 0 1))

And it still doesn't seem to work out for me

Samuel Williams said:
I already normalized the vectors, giving

1/√(1-i)*((1−i√2) 0 1))
I skimmed over that, my bad. Even so, it still isn't normalized--the magnitude is ##2##, not ##1-i##.
Use the equation ##\|x\|=\sqrt{\langle x\;|\ x\rangle}## to recover the norm on a Hilbert space. It should always be real-valued and nonnegative.

I managed to figure out where I have been going wrong thanks to you. I have been using Euclidean inner products instead of Hermitian inner products. Thanks for the help

Likes suremarc

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra to describe the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of an eigenvector when the transformation is applied, and eigenvectors are the vectors that remain on the same line or subspace after the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors useful in science?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and data analysis. They are used to solve systems of differential equations, diagonalize matrices, and identify patterns in large datasets.

3. What is the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. The "bra" ψ| represents the conjugate transpose of a vector, while the "ket" |ψ represents the vector itself. Operators are represented by A|ψ, where A is the operator and ψ is the vector.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related to the bra-ket notation?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of an operator represent the possible outcomes and corresponding states of a measurement. The bra-ket notation allows for the easy representation and manipulation of these values and vectors in mathematical equations.

5. Can eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be complex numbers. In fact, complex eigenvalues are often encountered in quantum mechanics, where they represent the energy levels of a system. In other applications, such as data analysis, all eigenvalues are typically real numbers.