1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the momentum current density dyadic

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the momentum
    current density dyadic [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}[/tex] (Maxwell tensor)? Then make use of these eigenvalues in finding the determinant of [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}[/tex] and the trace of [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}=\overleftrightarrow{1}U-\frac{1}{4\pi}(\overrightarrow{E}\overrightarrow{E}+\overrightarrow{B}\overrightarrow{B})[/tex]
    [tex]U=\frac{1}{8\pi}(\overrightarrow{|E}|^{2}+|\overrightarrow{B|^{2}})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]

\overleftrightarrow{T}x=\lambda x[/tex]

[tex]det(\overleftrightarrow{T}-\overleftrightarrow{1}\lambda)=0[/tex]

[tex]
    det\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
    T_{11}-\lambda & T_{12} & T_{13}\\
    T_{21} & T_{22}-\lambda & T_{23}\\
    T31 & T_{32} & T_{33}-\lambda\end{array}\right)=0 [/tex]

Since the tensor is symmetric, we have [tex]T_{ij}=T_{ji}[/tex], (after simplifying) our equation become:

[tex]-\lambda^{3}+(T_{11}+T_{22}+T_{33})\lambda^{2}+(T_{12}^{2}+T_{23}^{2}+T_{31}^{2}-T_{11}T_{22}-T_{22}T_{33}-T_{33}T_{11})\lambda+T_{11}T_{22}T_{33}+2T_{12}T_{23}T_{31}-T_{11}T_{23}^{2}-T_{22}T_{31}^{2}-T_{33}T_{12}^{2}=0[/tex]

with [tex]T_{ij}=\delta_{ij}U-\frac{1}{4\pi}(E_{i}E_{j}+B_{i}B_{j})[/tex] (from the definition of [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T})[/tex]

The problem is that as I expand [tex]T_{ij}[/tex] the equation become more and more complicated. Am I doing the right thing here?
    And later how to find the determinant of [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}[/tex] and the trace of [tex]\overleftrightarrow{T}^2[/tex] after obtaining the eigenvalue?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    Anybody got any idea?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook