Eigenvalues and operators, step the involves switching and substitutin

In summary, p is the eigenvalue of the operator C and it enters the calculation by switching the ket vectors around.
rwooduk
Operator C = I+><-I + I-><+I

Wavefunction PSI = Q I+> +V I->

C PSI = Q I-> + V I+>

note the I is just a straight line (BRAKET vectors), the next step is where I get confused, p is subbed in and the ket vectors switch places...

C PSI = pQ I+> + pV I-> <---- why??

therefore

V = pQ and Q = pV

which gives p^2 Q = Q therefore p = +/- 1

why can p be subbed in and the ket vectors switch around, i.e. I-> no longer with Q and I+> no longer with V

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
What is p? What are you even trying to do? What source of information are you using?

Likes 1 person
Hi, I am reviewing last semesters quantum mechanics, the complete question is:

Determine the eigenvalues of the operator C = I+><-I + I-><+I. You may use PSI = Q I+> + V I-> as an eigenvector.

so p would be the eigenvalues of the operator C which are +1 and -1

the solution introduces p to C PSI = Q I-> + V I+> by switching the ket vectors around and putting p with each term, I don't understand why this is.

thanks for the reply

rwooduk said:
Operator C = I+><-I + I-><+I

Wavefunction PSI = Q I+> +V I->

C PSI = Q I-> + V I+>

note the I is just a straight line (BRAKET vectors), the next step is where I get confused, p is subbed in and the ket vectors switch places...

therefore

V = pQ and Q = pV

which gives p^2 Q = Q therefore p = +/- 1

why can p be subbed in and the ket vectors switch around, i.e. I-> no longer with Q and I+> no longer with V

thanks
Please don't write I. There's a vertical line on the keyboard that you can use. Or you can copy and paste this one: |

I assume that Q and V are just numbers. What is p and how did it enter the calculation?

Oh wait, p is the eigenvalue, right? Then by definition of eigenvalue and eigenvector, you have ##C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle##. Now you can just use the definition of ##|\psi\rangle## to get
$$C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle =p(Q|+\rangle+V|-\rangle)=pQ|+\rangle+pV|-\rangle.$$ Since you already know that
$$C|\psi\rangle=Q|-\rangle+V|+\rangle,$$ this implies that pQ=V and pV=Q.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Please don't write I. There's a vertical line on the keyboard that you can use. Or you can copy and paste this one: |

I assume that Q and V are just numbers. What is p and how did it enter the calculation?

oh dear I missed something in the solution:

Recall the eigenvalue equation: C |PSI> = p |PSI>

that would explain where the p comes from, but it doesn't explain why the ket vectors switch around... or does it?

Yes Q and V are just numbers.

Apologies on the I.

rwooduk said:
oh dear I missed something in the solution:

Recall the eigenvalue equation: C |PSI> = p |PSI>

that would explain where the p comes from, but it doesn't explain why the ket vectors switch around... or does it?

Yes Q and V are just numbers.

Apologies on the I.
If p is the eigenvalue, then by definition of eigenvalue and eigenvector, you have ##C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle##. Now you can just use the definition of ##|\psi\rangle## to get
$$C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle =p\big(Q|+\rangle+V|-\rangle\big)=pQ|+\rangle+pV|-\rangle.$$ Since you already know that
$$C|\psi\rangle=Q|-\rangle+V|+\rangle,$$ this implies that
$$(pQ-V)|+\rangle +(pV-Q)|-\rangle=0.$$ Since the basis vectors are linearly independent, this implies that pQ-V=0 and pV-Q=0.

Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
If p is the eigenvalue, then by definition of eigenvalue and eigenvector, you have ##C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle##. Now you can just use the definition of ##|\psi\rangle## to get
$$C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle =p\big(Q|+\rangle+V|-\rangle\big)=pQ|+\rangle+pV|-\rangle.$$ Since you already know that
$$C|\psi\rangle=Q|-\rangle+V|+\rangle,$$ this implies that
$$(pQ-V)|+\rangle +(pV-Q)|-\rangle=0.$$ Since the basis vectors are linearly independent, this implies that pQ-V=0 and pV-Q=0.

Ahhh I see now, that's great! Thanks very much for your time, really appreciated!

1. What are eigenvalues and operators?

Eigenvalues and operators are mathematical concepts used in the field of linear algebra. Eigenvalues represent the scalar values that are associated with a specific vector in a matrix, while operators are functions that map one vector to another.

2. How are eigenvalues and operators related?

Eigenvalues and operators are closely related because eigenvectors (vectors associated with eigenvalues) are transformed by operators in a specific way - the operator only changes the magnitude of the eigenvector, not its direction.

3. What is the process of switching and substituting in regards to eigenvalues and operators?

Switching and substituting is a technique used in solving systems of linear equations involving eigenvalues and operators. It involves swapping the positions of two equations and then substituting one equation into the other to eliminate a variable.

4. How is switching and substituting used in finding eigenvalues?

In finding eigenvalues, switching and substituting is used to simplify the characteristic equation of a matrix. By substituting the eigenvalue into the characteristic equation, the equation can be solved for the corresponding eigenvector.

5. Can switching and substituting be used in any type of matrix?

Yes, the technique of switching and substituting can be applied to any square matrix, as long as it has a corresponding eigenvector. However, the process may vary depending on the size and complexity of the matrix.