Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and operators, step the involves switching and substitutin

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    Operator C = I+><-I + I-><+I

Wavefunction PSI = Q I+> +V I->

C PSI = Q I-> + V I+>

note the I is just a straight line (BRAKET vectors), the next step is where I get confused, p is subbed in and the ket vectors switch places...

C PSI = pQ I+> + pV I-> <---- why??

therefore

V = pQ and Q = pV

which gives p^2 Q = Q therefore p = +/- 1

why can p be subbed in and the ket vectors switch around, i.e. I-> no longer with Q and I+> no longer with V

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

kith

Science Advisor

What is p? What are you even trying to do? What source of information are you using?

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    Hi, im reviewing last semesters quantum mechanics, the complete question is:

Determine the eigenvalues of the operator C = I+><-I + I-><+I. You may use PSI = Q I+> + V I-> as an eigenvector.

so p would be the eigenvalues of the operator C which are +1 and -1

the solution introduces p to C PSI = Q I-> + V I+> by switching the ket vectors around and putting p with each term, I don't understand why this is.

thanks for the reply

5. Sep 15, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please don't write I. There's a vertical line on the keyboard that you can use. Or you can copy and paste this one: |

I assume that Q and V are just numbers. What is p and how did it enter the calculation?

Oh wait, p is the eigenvalue, right? Then by definition of eigenvalue and eigenvector, you have ##C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle##. Now you can just use the definition of ##|\psi\rangle## to get
    $$C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle =p(Q|+\rangle+V|-\rangle)=pQ|+\rangle+pV|-\rangle.$$ Since you already know that
    $$C|\psi\rangle=Q|-\rangle+V|+\rangle,$$ this implies that pQ=V and pV=Q.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Sep 15, 2014 #5
    oh dear I missed something in the solution:

Recall the eigenvalue equation: C |PSI> = p |PSI>

that would explain where the p comes from, but it doesn't explain why the ket vectors switch around... or does it?

Yes Q and V are just numbers.

Apologies on the I.

7. Sep 15, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If p is the eigenvalue, then by definition of eigenvalue and eigenvector, you have ##C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle##. Now you can just use the definition of ##|\psi\rangle## to get
    $$C|\psi\rangle =p|\psi\rangle =p\big(Q|+\rangle+V|-\rangle\big)=pQ|+\rangle+pV|-\rangle.$$ Since you already know that
    $$C|\psi\rangle=Q|-\rangle+V|+\rangle,$$ this implies that
    $$(pQ-V)|+\rangle +(pV-Q)|-\rangle=0.$$ Since the basis vectors are linearly independent, this implies that pQ-V=0 and pV-Q=0.

8. Sep 15, 2014 #7
    Ahhh I see now, that's great!! Thanks very much for your time, really appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook