1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenvalues: Matrix corresponding to projection

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Let A be a matrix corresponding to projection in 2 dimensions onto the line generated by a vector v.

A) lambda = −1 is an eigenvalue for A
    B) The vector v is an eigenvector for A corresponding to the eigenvalue lambda = −1.
    C) lambda = 0 is an eigenvalue for A
    D) Any vector w perpendicular to v is an eigenvector for A corresponding to the eigenvalue lambda = −1.
    E) Any vector w perpendicular to v is an eigenvector for A corresponding to the eigenvalue lambda = 0.

A) A matrix must have a non-zero eigenvalue.
    B) The vector is an eigenvector of corresponding to the eigenvalue.
    C) See A
    D) When a vector is perpendicular to A, it must be zero for eigenvalue (If it was nonzero eigenvalue, then it is not perpendicular)
    E) See D

So far I believe A, B, E are true? What do you think? Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for giving reasons this time, but I don't believe A) is true. And I believe your reason even less. Let's just start from there. A matrix doesn't HAVE to have a nonzero eigenvalue, much less (-1). I will say your answers to D and E seem to be correct, but if you think E is true, then why do you think C is false? That's just crazy.

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    When I read the text book, it stated that "a square matrix A is invertible if and only if lambda = 0 is not an eigenvalue of A."

Therefore, I assume C) was false.

After I read your message, it appears that B, C, E are correct for this problem?

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who said A was invertible? I'm not going to tell you what's correct until you convince me you know what's correct. Why do you think B is true?

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5
    I would say that eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue λ = -1 is any multiple of the basic vector. So, both make the eigenspace corresponding to the eigenvalue.

or

The eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue λ = −1 is the solution of the equation Ax = -x

7. Dec 9, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you project v onto the line generated by the vector v (which is what A does to v), what do you get? They aren't talking about just any vector that happens to have eigenvalue -1. They are talking about that particular v.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. Dec 9, 2009 #7
    I would get linearly indepedent eigenvectors, Dick?

9. Dec 9, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Dec 9, 2009 #9
  11. Dec 9, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. So what is Av if A is the projection onto the line generated by v?

12. Dec 9, 2009 #11
    It will be parallel? so, there are many vectors that could correspond to the given?

That means C and E are true, right?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  13. Dec 9, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Av is (v.v)v/|v|^2. (v.v) is the same as |v|^2. Av is v!

14. Dec 9, 2009 #13
    Therefore C and E are true, right?

15. Dec 9, 2009 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Av=v has nothing to do with whether C and E are true or false. It's about a different part of the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook