1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of an operator in an inner product space

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    "Suppose [tex]V[/tex] is a (real or complex) inner product space, and that [tex]T:V\rightarrow V[/tex] is self adjoint. Suppose that there is a vector [tex]v[/tex] with [tex]||v||=1[/tex], a scalar [tex]\lambda\in F[/tex] and a real [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] such that

[tex]||T(v)-\lambda v||<\epsilon[/tex].

Show that T has an eigenvalue [tex]\lambda '[/tex] such that [tex]|\lambda -\lambda '| < \epsilon[/tex]."

Since T is self adjoint, there exists an orthonormal basis [tex](e_1,...,e_n)[/tex], with corresponding eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_1,...,\lambda_n[/tex]. Suppose [tex]v=x_1e_1+...+x_ne_n[/tex] for some [tex]x_1,...,x_n\in F[/tex]. Then,

[tex]||(\lambda_1-\lambda)x_1e_1+...+(\lambda_n-\lambda)x_1e_1||<\epsilon[/tex]

Since the basis is orthonormal, it follow that

[tex]|(\lambda_1-\lambda)x_1|^2+...+|(\lambda_n-\lambda)x_n|^2<\epsilon^2[/tex].

At this point I am unable to deduce the conclusion.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose [itex]|\lambda _i - \lambda| \geq \epsilon[/itex] for all i, then:

[tex]\epsilon^2 > |(\lambda_1-\lambda)x_1|^2+...+|(\lambda_n-\lambda)x_n|^2 = \sum _{k=1} ^n |\lambda _k - \lambda|^2|x_k|^2 \geq \sum \epsilon ^2|x_k|^2 = \epsilon ^2\sum |x_k|^2 = \epsilon ^2 ||v|| = \epsilon ^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?