How do I solve the eigenvalues equation for a 3x3 matrix?

In summary, the student is trying to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matric. However, he is not so sure how to proceed and any help would be appreciated. If he has any problem with the prescription, he will let the tutor know. He then attempts to find the eigenvalues using a linear combination of the states |0> , |1> and |2> and finds that the system has to have a singular matrix (zero determinant) for the Eigenvalues to be non-zero. He then solves for each eigenvalue and finds that the eigenstates are |0> , |1> and |2> .
Fixxxer125

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues of the following
282ko43.png

and the eigenvelctor which corresponds to the smallest eigenvalue

Homework Equations

I know how to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matric but this one I'm not so sure so any help would be appreciated

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the hamiltonian consists of the states |0> , |1> and |2> , these will be a basis for it's non-zero eigenvalue eigenstates, because, if you acted with the hamiltonian to every other state |n>, you will get zero (assuming that |n>'s are a complete set of orthonormal states). So, try to act with this hamiltonian to a linear combination of the states |0> , |1> and |2> and then try to find the values of the coefficients of that superposition, that make this supreposition an eigenstate. This procedure will lead you to a homogeneus 3x3 system w.r.t. the coefficients, which, in order to have non-zero solutions, has to have a singular matrix (zero determinant). This condition will give you the eigenvalues and then, solvning the system for each eigenvalue, you will find the eigenstates.

If you have any problem with the above prescription, let me know so I can give you extra hints...

Last edited:
With the 2x2 matrixies I am used to making det(A-λI)=0 to find the eigenvalues and then solving the Aγ=λγ equation to get the eigenvectors, can I not sue a similar method here?

cosmic dust said:
This procedure will lead you to a homogeneus 3x3 system w.r.t. the coefficients, which, in order to have non-zero solutions, has to have a singular matrix (zero determinant)

I just added this...

I don't massively understand, sorry! In lectures we have been told that there is a zero valued eigenvalue and I also know the corresponding eigenvalue. However I'm still unsure and don't really follow your method?

Start with this:
cosmic dust said:
…a linear combination of the states |0> , |1> and |2> …
Consider this linear combination:

[tex]\left| {{\psi }_{i}} \right\rangle ={{c}_{i0}}\left| 0 \right\rangle +{{c}_{i1}}\left| 1 \right\rangle +{{c}_{i2}}\left| 2 \right\rangle [/tex]

cosmic dust said:
… then try to find the values of the coefficients of that superposition, that make this supreposition an eigenstate …

These superpositions will be eigenstates if:

[tex]{{H}_{I}}\left| {{\psi }_{i}} \right\rangle ={{E}_{i}}\left| {{\psi }_{i}} \right\rangle [/tex]

and this requirement will lead you to (I have set Ei = [itex]\hbar[/itex]ωi/2):

[tex]\left[ {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i2}}\left| 0 \right\rangle +\left( {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i0}}+{{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i1}} \right)\left| 2 \right\rangle +{{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i2}}\left| 1 \right\rangle \right]={{\omega }_{i}}\left( {{c}_{i0}}\left| 0 \right\rangle +{{c}_{i1}}\left| 1 \right\rangle +{{c}_{i2}}\left| 2 \right\rangle \right) [/tex]

Since |0> , |1> and |2> are linearly independent, the above relation will hold iff:

[tex]\begin{align}
& {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i2}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i0}} \\
& {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i0}}+{{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i1}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i1}} \\
& {{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i2}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i2}} \\
\end{align}[/tex]

This is the 3x3 system that you have to solve…

Cheers, I'll give it a go, thanks for your help

I can't even solve that 3x3 system, any chance of another pointer?

cosmic dust said:
[tex]\begin{align}
& {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i0}}+{{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i1}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i1}} \\
& {{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i2}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i2}} \\
\end{align}[/tex]

This is the 3x3 system that you have to solve…

I made a mistake... This is the system:

[tex]\begin{align}
& {{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i2}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i1}} \\
& {{\Omega }_{0}}{{c}_{i0}}+{{\Omega }_{1}}{{c}_{i1}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{c}_{i2}} \\
\end{align}[/tex]

Now, setting:

[itex]A=\left( \begin{matrix}
0 & 0 & {{\Omega }_{0}} \\
0 & 0 & {{\Omega }_{1}} \\
{{\Omega }_{0}} & {{\Omega }_{1}} & 0 \\
\end{matrix} \right)[/itex] and [itex]{{X}_{i}}=\left( \begin{matrix}
{{c}_{i0}} \\
{{c}_{i1}} \\
{{c}_{i2}} \\
\end{matrix} \right)[/itex]

the system can be written in the matrix form:

[tex]A{{X}_{i}}={{\omega }_{i}}{{X}_{i}}[/tex]

This is an eigenvalues equation. Can you solve it?

1. What are eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian?

The eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian are the possible values that can be obtained when solving the Schrödinger equation for a quantum system. They represent the allowed energy levels of the system.

2. How are eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian calculated?

Eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian are typically calculated by solving the characteristic equation, which involves finding the roots of a polynomial equation. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods.

3. What do the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian tell us about a system?

The eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian provide information about the energy states of a quantum system. They can tell us the possible energies that the system can have and the probability of finding the system in a particular energy state.

4. How do eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian relate to quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian are fundamental to quantum mechanics as they describe the energy levels of a quantum system. They are used to calculate the probabilities of different energy states and to understand the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

5. Can eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian change?

Yes, the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian can change if the system undergoes a change in its potential energy or if an external force is applied. This can result in a change in the energy levels and the probabilities of the system's energy states.