1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues & Similar Matrices

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    Q: Suppose the only eigenvalues of A are 1 and -1, and A is similar to a diagonal matrix. Prove that A^-1 = A

My Attempt:
    Suppose the only eigenvalues of A are 1 and -1, and A is similar to a diagonal matrix.
    =>A is invertible (since 0 is not an eigenvalue of A)
    and there exists invertible P s.t.
    (P^-1) A P = D is diagonal
    => A= P D (P^-1)
    => A^-1 = P (D^-1) (P^-1)

Now if I can prove that D = D^-1, then I am done. But I am stuck right here. The trouble is that the eignevalues of A can have any number of multiplicities, so D can be diag{1,1,-1,-1,-1}, diag{1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1}, etc., there are infinite number of possible D's, how can I prove that D = D^-1 is always true for these infinite number of different settings?

Can someone please help me?
    Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The inverse of adiagonal matrix is formed by inverting the diagonal elements. 1^(-1)=1 and (-1)^(-1)=-1. What's the problem?

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whenever you're stuck, write out an example and solve it. If you have done so, you would have noticed what Dick is saying.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4
    How can I prove this statement? I haven't learnt this before...

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Follow JasonRox's advice and just do it. Multiplying diagonal matrices just involves multiplying the diagonal elements. c_ij=a_ik*b_kj sum over k. If they are diagonal, c_ii=a_ii*b_ii.

7. Oct 22, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't really need to calculate A-1 at all. Just showing that A2= A[itex]\cdot[/itex]A= I is sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?