Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvectors of this Hamiltonian

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I've got a problem which is asking for the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the Hamiltonian [itex] H_0=-B_0(a_1 \sigma_z^{(1)}+a_2 \sigma_z^{(2)}) [/itex] for a system consisting of two spin half particles in the magnetic field [itex] \vec{B}=B_0 \hat z [/itex].
    But I think the problem is wrong and no eigenstate and eigenvalue exist. Here's my reason:
    [itex]
    -B_0(a_1 \sigma_z^{(1)}+a_2 \sigma_z^{(2)}) \left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\y_1 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x_2\\y_2 \end{array}\right) =\lambda\left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\y_1 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x_2\\y_2\end{array}\right) \Rightarrow -B_0(a_1 \left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\-y_1 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x_2\\y_2 \end{array}\right)+a_2 \left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\y_1 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x_2\\-y_2 \end{array}\right)) =\lambda\left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\y_1 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x_2\\y_2\end{array}\right)
    [/itex]
    But as far as I know, that is impossible. Am I right?
    I'm asking this because I'm affraid maybe my knowledge on tensor product states and operators contain some holes because I learnt it by reading little things here and there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

The final step doesn't look right. I haven't looked at the details, but I would try representing the tensor product state using a 4X1 column vector as in http://www.matfys.lth.se/education/quantinfo/QIlect1.pdf (p10) or http://www.tau.ac.il/~quantum/Reznik/lecture notes in quantum information.pdf (p32). The operators should be 4X4 matrices, and ##\sigma_z^{(1)}## should be ##\sigma_z^{(1)} \otimes \mathbb{I}^{(2)}##.

Edit: rubi's and stevendaryl's posts are correct. The 4X1 vector should be have unknowns [a b c d]T.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. Jul 24, 2014 #3

rubi

Science Advisor

The problem with the calculation is that a general vector in the tensor product space isn't ##(\sum_{i=1}^2 a_i e_i)\otimes(\sum_{j=1}^2 b_j e_j)## but rather ##\sum_{i,j=1}^2 c_{ij} e_i\otimes e_j##.

5. Jul 24, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The state [itex]\left( \begin{array}\\ x_1 \\ y_1\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}\\ x_2 \\ y_2\end{array} \right) [/itex] is not the most general state for two spin-1/2 particles. The most general state looks something like this:

[itex]\alpha_1 \left( \begin{array}\\ 1 \\ 0\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}\\ 1 \\ 0\end{array} \right) + \alpha_2 \left( \begin{array}\\ 1 \\ 0\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 \\ 1\end{array} \right) + \alpha_3 \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 \\ 1\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}\\ 1 \\ 0\end{array} \right) + \alpha_4 \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 \\ 1\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 \\ 1\end{array} \right) [/itex]

Now, operate on this general state with the Hamiltonian to find out what kind of constraints on the [itex]\alpha[/itex]s would make it an eigenstate.

6. Jul 25, 2014 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Thanks people.
    Now another question.
    The next part of the problem asks for the first order correction for the perturbation [itex] k \, \vec\sigma^{(1)} \cdot \vec\sigma^{(2)} [/itex]. Is the following correct?
    [itex]

\vec\sigma^{(1)} \cdot \vec\sigma^{(2)}=(\sigma_x^{(1)*} \,\,\, \sigma_y^{(1)*} \,\,\, \sigma_z^{(1)*}) \left( \begin{array}{c} \sigma_x^{(2)} \\ \sigma_y^{(2)} \\ \sigma_z^{(2)} \end{array} \right)=\sigma_x^{(1)*}\sigma_x^{(2)}+\sigma_y^{(1)*}\sigma_y^{(2)}+ \sigma _z^{(1)*}\sigma_z^{(2)}

[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook