1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein's formula for specific heat

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    I'm working through a derivation of Einstein's formula for specific heat and I'm stuck.

So far I've been working off Planck's assumption of quantised energy [tex] E=n\hbar\omega [/tex] and the energy probability [tex] P(E)= e^{\frac{-E}{k_b T}} [/tex], using the fact that the mean expectation energy is [tex]\langle E \rangle= \frac{\sum_n E P(E)}{\sum_n P(E)}[/tex] to get total energy [tex]U=3N\langle E \rangle=\frac{3N\sum_n n\hbar\omega e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}{\sum_n e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}[/tex]

The next step is where my problem is. The derivation I am studying says the above expression is equal to [tex]3Nk_b T\left[\frac{\hbar\omega/k_b T}{e^{\hbar\omega/k_bT}-1}\right][/tex], which when differentiated wrt T gives the Einstein formula, but I don't see how that step is made.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    I haven't found how to derive the result from your way yet, but here is an idea:
    The numerator is somewhat like [tex]A = e^{-1} + 2e^{-2} + ...[/tex] and the denominator is somewhat like [tex]B = 1 + e^{-1} + e^{-2} + ...[/tex]
    Notice that: [tex]A = (B-1) + (B-1)e^{-1} + (B-1)e^{-2} + ...[/tex] and that B is a geometric series and easily computed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook