1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision between billiard balls

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two billiard balls of equal mass undergo a perfectly elastic head on collision. If one ball's initial speed was 2.00 m/s, and the other's was 3.00 m/s in the opposite direction, what will their speeds be after the collision?

Va = 2 m/s
    Vb = 3 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    MaVa + MbVb = MaVa' + MbVb'
    1/2MaVa^2 + 1/2MbVb^2 = 1/2MaVa'^2 + 1/2MbVb'^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let right be positive.

MaVa + MbVb = MaVa' + MbVb'
    Va + Vb = Va' + Vb'
    2 - 3 = Va' + Vb'
    Va' = -1 - Vb'

1/2MaVa^2 + 1/2MbVb^2 = 1/2MaVa'^2 + 1/2MbVb'^2
    Va^2 + Vb^2 = Va'^2 + Vb'^2
    4 + 9 = (1-Vb')^2 + Vb'^2
    0 = -13 + 1 + 2Vb' + Vb'^2 + Vb'^2
    0 = 2Vb'^2 + 2Vb' - 12
    0 = Vb'^2 + Vb' - 6
    0 = (Vb' + 3)(Vb' - 2)
    Vb' = -3 or Vb' = 2

I can figure this out, but I'm not sure which answer to choose and also for future questions how I know which to choose.

If Vb' = -3:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
    Va' = -1 - (-3)
    Va' = 2

If Vb' = 2:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
    Va' = -1 - 2
    Va' = -3

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    Compare the final answers to your initial conditions.

What did you state Va and Vb to be?

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    Well Va was 2m/s and Vb was -3 m/s

If they're colliding head on would they be pushed back directly in the opposite direction, making

Vb' = 2 m/s and Va' = -3 m/s?

5. Mar 21, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Your duplicate answers arise since it was arbitrary which ball you chose as A and which as B - and which one was travelling in the positive direction.

Work the problem with Va = 2 and Vb = -3 initially, then Vb = 2 and Va = -3, then Va = -2 and Vb = 3 and finally Vb = -2 and Va = 3 and you will get seemingly different answers, which when interpretted to the situation mean the same thing.

It is a head on collision, so call the original motion Left and Right [one of those directions you will have to call one of those positive and the other negative for maths - it doesn't like left and right.

Once you interpret your answer you will find that the ball originally doing 2 will be travelling at 3 in the opposite direction to its original, and the ball doing 3 will be travelling at 2 in the opposite direction to its original, regardless of which ball you called A, and which direction you defined as positive.

6. Mar 21, 2012 #5
    Okay, I got it, thanks, now I have another question :/
    New topic ><

I don't find the questions hard just my answers aren't really matching up with teachers so I must be doing something wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook