1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of kinetic energy/linear momentum problem

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 8-kg sphere A is moving to the left with a velocity of 15 m/s when it strikes the 45° inclined surface of a 10-kg block B which is moving to the right a 5 m/s. The ball strikes the block 1 meter above the ground. The block is supported by rollers and impact is perfectly elastic. Determine the speeds of A and B after the impact.

2. Relevant equations
    1/2mb(vb)^2 + 1/2ma(va)^2 = 1/2mb(vb)^2 + 1/2ma(va)^2 (initial kin. energy = final kin. energy)
    mbvb + mava = mbvb + mava (initial linear mom. = final linear mom.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know to use those 2 equations to solve for the 2 unknowns Vb final and Va final, but the only thing that's messing me up is what to do with the 45° incline on the block, and I think that the ball striking the block 1 foot about the ground is irrelevant, but I'm not positive. Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2
    Try and resolve the 'v' of the inclined block into its horizontal component. And then put the derived 'v' into the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted