Elastic Collision problem with atoms.

In summary, the conversation discusses a neutron in a nuclear reactor colliding with a carbon nucleus at rest. The fraction of kinetic energy transferred to the carbon nucleus can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. By rearranging these equations and using the difference of two perfect squares factoring, the final velocities of both masses can be determined.
hellomister

Homework Statement

A neutron in a nuclear reactor makes an elastic head-on collision with the nucleus of a carbon atom initially at rest.

(a) What fraction of the neutron's kinetic energy is transferred to the carbon nucleus? (The mass of the carbon nucleus is about 12 times the mass of the neutron.)

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum: M1V1i+M2V2i=M1V1f+M2V2F
Conservation of Kinetic Energy: 1/2M1V1i^2+1/2M2V2i^2=1/2M1V1F^2+1/2M2V2F^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since V2i=0
M1V1i=M1V1F+M2V2F

and

1/2M1V1i^2=1/2M1V1F^2+1/2M2V2F^2 <--- 3 unknowns V1i,V1F,V2F so i need 3 equations to solve for them.

(1)(V1i)=(1)(V1F)+(12)(V2F)
V2F=V1i-V1F/12

umm so i was wondering if I am on the right track to solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Since V2i = 0 and using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations one gets

V1F = ((M1 - M2)/(M1 + M2))V1i

V2F = (2M1/(M1 + M2))V1i

You arrive at these equations by rearranging the momentum and energy equations by grouping the initial and final velocities of the first mass on one side of the equation and doing the same on the other side for the second mass. Then divide the rearrange energy equation by the rearranged momentum equation using the difference of two perfect squares factoring i.e. a2 - b2 = (a + b)(a - b). This gives

V1i - V2i = V2F - V1F

Using the above equation and the rearranged momentum equation the final velocities can be obtained.

Yes, you are on the right track to solving this problem. You have correctly identified the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations as the relevant equations to use in this elastic collision problem. However, you are correct in noting that you need three equations to solve for the three unknowns (V1i, V1F, and V2F). You can obtain a third equation by using the fact that the collision is elastic, which means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This can be written as:

1/2M1V1i^2 = 1/2M1V1F^2 + 1/2M2V2F^2

Substituting in the expression you found for V2F, you can then solve for V1F and V2F in terms of V1i. This will allow you to determine the fraction of the neutron's kinetic energy that is transferred to the carbon nucleus.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How are elastic collisions different from inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How do atoms behave during an elastic collision?

During an elastic collision between atoms, they will bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This is because atoms are considered to be perfectly elastic and do not deform upon collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between atoms?

The mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the atoms can affect the outcome of an elastic collision. Additionally, the type of atoms and any external forces present can also impact the collision.

5. Can elastic collisions occur between atoms of different elements?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur between atoms of different elements, as long as the conditions for an elastic collision are met. This includes the atoms being perfectly elastic and the total kinetic energy of the system being conserved.