1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collisions and Harmonic Motion

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is dropped from a height of 10 meters onto a hard surface so that the collision at the surface may be assumed elastic. Under such conditions the motion of the ball is
    (A) simple harmonic with a period of about 1.4 s
    (B) simple harmonic with a period of about 2.8 s
    (C) simple harmonic with an amplitude of 5 m
    (D) periodic with a period of about 2.8 s but not simple harmonic
    (E) motion with constant momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

I would assume that since its an elastic collision, that it would engage in simple harmonic motion, but the answer is D so evidently that is not the case. Anyone care to explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    You must have a definition of Harmonic motion somewhere in you textbook.It really isn't hard to find out if that definition does apply.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    the acceleration is not directly proportional to the displacement but a constant acceleration (assume there is no air resistance)
    there is no equilibrium position between the extreme ends... (as well as force= 0)
    and the direction is downward besides at the pt where the ball rebounces....
    it is periodic motion, since the collision is elastic .i.e. energy(KE) is conserved.
    by s=ut+1/2at^2
    s=5t^2
    t = sqrt 2=1.41 , representing the time for "half motion"
    T=1.41*2=2.82 s

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    so it isn't harmonic motion. The acceleration isn't constant when the ball bounces
    of course. If "movement with constant acceleration" was a question, I'd have to
    answer no.

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    Indeed, these three factors are just provided you as explanations :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?