Finding the angular frequency of an object

In summary, the angular frequency of an object is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or oscillating around an axis. It is calculated by dividing the angular displacement, or change in angle, by the time taken to complete one full rotation or oscillation. The units for angular frequency are radians per second, and it is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.
t.kirschner99

Homework Statement

An object undergoes simple harmonic motion along an x-axis with a period of 0.50s and amplitude of 29mm. Its position is x = 12mm when t = 0s. Determine the value of ω in the equation of motion. Suppose that ω > 0.

Homework Equations

$$ω = \frac {2π} {T}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Earlier in the problem, I found that x(t) = Asin(ωt + ∅i) (which is confirmed correct). The question is asking for the angular frequency of an object going simple harmonic motion (no damping), so I am assuming I would need to just plug the period into the formula above. Thus:

$$ω = \frac {2π} {0.5s}.$$
$$= 12.57 \frac {rad} {s}$$

When I submit this answer though, it says it is incorrect. I've tried entering the solution as 4π rad/s (which it said the answer needed to be in decimal format) and 13 rad/s (which it said that the answer does not have the correct dimensions).

Physics news on Phys.org
t.kirschner99 said:
When I submit this answer though, it says it is incorrect. I've tried entering the solution as 4π rad/s (which it said the answer needed to be in decimal format) and 13 rad/s (which it said that the answer does not have the correct dimensions).
You don't say specifically, but it sounds like when you submitted 12.57rad/s it did not complain about the dimensions. If so, that suggests it is happy with the 13 as the numeric value.
Although the radian is a unit, most authorities maintain angles do not have dimension. You could try 13s-1.

Likes t.kirschner99
haruspex said:
You don't say specifically, but it sounds like when you submitted 12.57rad/s it did not complain about the dimensions. If so, that suggests it is happy with the 13 as the numeric value.
Although the radian is a unit, most authorities maintain angles do not have dimension. You could try 13s-1.

Thank you! 13s-1 was the correct answer.

Related to Finding the angular frequency of an object

1. What is angular frequency and why is it important?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects, such as the speed and direction of rotation.

2. How is angular frequency different from linear frequency?

Angular frequency measures the rotation of an object in radians per unit of time, while linear frequency measures the number of complete cycles an object makes in a given time period. They are related through the formula: angular frequency = 2π*linear frequency.

3. How do you calculate the angular frequency of an object?

The angular frequency of an object can be calculated by dividing the angular velocity (rate of change of angular displacement) by the radius of the circle the object is rotating along. The formula is: angular frequency = angular velocity / radius.

4. What units are used to measure angular frequency?

Angular frequency is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

5. How does angular frequency affect the period of rotation of an object?

The period of rotation (the time it takes for an object to complete one full rotation) is inversely proportional to the angular frequency. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period of rotation decreases, and vice versa.