1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the angular frequency of an object

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object undergoes simple harmonic motion along an x axis with a period of 0.50s and amplitude of 29mm. Its position is x = 12mm when t = 0s. Determine the value of ω in the equation of motion. Suppose that ω > 0.

2. Relevant equations

$$ω = \frac {2π} {T}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Earlier in the problem, I found that x(t) = Asin(ωt + ∅i) (which is confirmed correct). The question is asking for the angular frequency of an object going simple harmonic motion (no damping), so I am assuming I would need to just plug the period into the formula above. Thus:

$$ω = \frac {2π} {0.5s}.$$
    $$= 12.57 \frac {rad} {s}$$

When I submit this answer though, it says it is incorrect. I've tried entering the solution as 4π rad/s (which it said the answer needed to be in decimal format) and 13 rad/s (which it said that the answer does not have the correct dimensions).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't say specifically, but it sounds like when you submitted 12.57rad/s it did not complain about the dimensions. If so, that suggests it is happy with the 13 as the numeric value.
    Although the radian is a unit, most authorities maintain angles do not have dimension. You could try 13s-1.

4. Mar 8, 2017 #3
    Thank you! 13s-1 was the correct answer.

5. Mar 8, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted