Elastic Collisions (Kinetic energy)

In summary: Ek1 = 0.5m1v1^2Ek1 = 0.5x2m1v^2Ek1 = mv^2Ek2 = 0.5m2v2^2Ek1 = 0.5x3m1v^2Ek1 = 1.5mv^2EkT = Ek1+Ek2EkT = (mv^2)+(1.5mv^2)EkT = 2.5mv^2In summary, a nuclear fusion reaction occurs when a deuterium nucleus and a tritium nucleus combine, releasing most of the energy in the kinetic energy of the product neutron and helium nucleus.
Magma828

Homework Statement

A nuclear fusion reaction occurs when a deuterium nucleus, mass 2m, and a tritium nucleus, mass 3m, combine (each with velocity v in opposite directions). Most of the energy released in the fusion is carried away in the kinetic energy of the product neutron, mass m, and velocity 5v. The other product is a helium nucleus, mass 4m, and velocity v.

(a) Show in terms of m and v that momentum is conserved in the process.
I've done this part, I don't need help with it. I'm just posting it incase it's a sub-step for the next part. The answer is -mv=-mv

(b) Calculate the kinetic energy released in the fusion in terms of m and v.

I'm stuck with part b. For part a I had to use all the data in the question, I'm guessing that for part b I only have to use the masses and velocities before the collision.

Homework Equations

Ek = 0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've done so far:
Ek = 0.5mv2

v1 = 1v
m1 = 2m
v2 = 1v
m2 = 3m

Ek1 = 0.5m1v12
Ek1 = 0.5x2m1v2
Ek1 = mv2

Ek2 = 0.5m2v22
Ek1 = 0.5x3m1v2
Ek1 = 1.5mv2

EkT = Ek1+Ek2
EkT = (mv2)+(1.5mv2)

But the answer in the book is EkT = 12mv2...

I think I may have messed up in the algebra, or maybe I need to use the data after the collision too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Magma828! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Magma828 said:
I'm stuck with part b. For part a I had to use all the data in the question, I'm guessing that for part b I only have to use the masses and velocities before the collision.

No, the total KE after is greater than the total KE before …

the difference in energy must have come from somewhere, and it comes from the "nuclear energy" released.

Try again. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Magma828! Welcome to PF! :wink:

No, the total KE after is greater than the total KE before …

the difference in energy must have come from somewhere, and it comes from the "nuclear energy" released.

Try again. :smile:

Ahh of course. I'd just spent the previous hour doing part a using the principle of conservation of momentum and decided to invent the principle of conservation of kinetic energy :tongue:

So it's the exact same method but just with the after-collision velocities?

It's the exact same method with all the velocities. :wink:

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total amount of kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same, and the total momentum of the objects involved also remains the same.

What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy in an elastic collision is KE = 1/2mv2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

The main difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision is that in an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

Can kinetic energy be negative in an elastic collision?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative in an elastic collision. Kinetic energy is always a positive quantity, as it is a measure of the energy an object has due to its motion. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects involved may change, but it will always remain positive.

What factors can affect the amount of kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The amount of kinetic energy in an elastic collision can be affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. A higher mass or velocity will result in a higher amount of kinetic energy. Additionally, the angle and direction of the collision can also affect the amount of kinetic energy transferred between the objects.