1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collisions (Kinetic energy)

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nuclear fusion reaction occurs when a deuterium nucleus, mass 2m, and a tritium nucleus, mass 3m, combine (each with velocity v in opposite directions). Most of the energy released in the fusion is carried away in the kinetic energy of the product neutron, mass m, and velocity 5v. The other product is a helium nucleus, mass 4m, and velocity v.

(a) Show in terms of m and v that momentum is conserved in the process.
    I've done this part, I don't need help with it. I'm just posting it incase it's a sub-step for the next part. The answer is -mv=-mv

(b) Calculate the kinetic energy released in the fusion in terms of m and v.

I'm stuck with part b. For part a I had to use all the data in the question, I'm guessing that for part b I only have to use the masses and velocities before the collision.

2. Relevant equations

Ek = 0.5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I've done so far:
    Ek = 0.5mv2

v1 = 1v
    m1 = 2m
    v2 = 1v
    m2 = 3m

Ek1 = 0.5m1v12
    Ek1 = 0.5x2m1v2
    Ek1 = mv2

Ek2 = 0.5m2v22
    Ek1 = 0.5x3m1v2
    Ek1 = 1.5mv2

EkT = Ek1+Ek2
    EkT = (mv2)+(1.5mv2)

But the answer in the book is EkT = 12mv2...

I think I may have messed up in the algebra, or maybe I need to use the data after the collision too.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Magma828! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    No, the total KE after is greater than the total KE before …

the difference in energy must have come from somewhere, and it comes from the "nuclear energy" released.

Try again. :smile:

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Ahh of course. I'd just spent the previous hour doing part a using the principle of conservation of momentum and decided to invent the principle of conservation of kinetic energy :tongue:

So it's the exact same method but just with the after-collision velocities?

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the exact same method with all the velocities. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook