Conservation of Momentum and Kinetic Energy in Inelastic Collisions

In summary, two objects with masses of 50g and 100g respectively are moving east at 0.3 m/s and 0.25 m/s. They collide inelastically and their final velocity is calculated to be 4/15 m/s. The kinetic energy lost in the collision is determined to be approximately 0.000042 J.

Homework Statement

A 50g object is moving east at 0.3 m/s. A 100g object is moving east as well at 0.25 m/s. These objects have an inelastic collision.

a) Find their final velocity
b) Find the kinetic energy lost

Homework Equations

P1 + P2 = P3 + P4 ; momentum is conserved
Ek = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the only thing conserved is momentum

Please excuse me for not using units, it's too confusing to do that on a keyboard.

a) (0.3 * 50/1000 + 0.25 * 100/1000) / (150/1000) = vf = 4 / 15 m/s

b) Ek1 = 0.5 * (50/1000) * 0.3^2 + 0.5 * (100/1000) * 0.25^2 = 0.005375 J
Ek2 = 0.5 * (50/1000) * (4/15)^2 + 0.5 * (100/1000) * (4/15)^2= 0.00533333333J

Ek1 - Ek2 = 0.000042 J

Is this correct? Someone said that its Ek2 - Ek1 but that doesn't make sense to me, because then delta(Ek) would be negative and this is impossible. Also, 10 marbles - 3 marbles. 7 were lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, ##\Delta E## of the system is negative; there's nothing wrong with that. The negative sign corresponds to a loss of energy. ##\Delta E## is defined as ##E_{f} - E_{i}##

If you want to phrase it in terms of energy lost, then simply take the absolute value when intepreting the answer. It's generally not good practice to nudge your answer into a positive value "by hand" as the sign carries physical meaning (and it also confuses you - subtract which from which?)

Fightfish said:
Strictly speaking, ##\Delta E## of the system is negative; there's nothing wrong with that. The negative sign corresponds to a loss of energy. ##\Delta E## is defined as ##E_{f} - E_{i}##

If you want to phrase it in terms of energy lost, then simply take the absolute value when intepreting the answer. It's generally not good practice to nudge your answer into a positive value "by hand" as the sign carries physical meaning (and it also confuses you - subtract which from which?)

Ah I see, but isn't Einitial - Efinal also correct?

It gives you the answer you wanted in this case, but I emphasize that understanding general principle(s) and idea(s) is more important. That is, it is perfectly fine to use so-called "shortcuts" like this while solving problems, but it is essential to know what exactly you are doing when you use them.

Fightfish said:
It gives you the answer you wanted in this case, but I emphasize that understanding general principle(s) and idea(s) is more important. That is, it is perfectly fine to use so-called "shortcuts" like this while solving problems, but it is essential to know what exactly you are doing when you use them.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I think that I will try harder to understand the principals.

1. What are "Physics collisions"?

Physics collisions refer to the interactions between two or more objects that result in a change in their motion or shape. These interactions can be described using the principles of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How are collisions classified in physics?

In physics, collisions are classified into two types: elastic and inelastic. Elastic collisions involve a transfer of kinetic energy between objects, while inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or the creation of heat or sound.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by several factors, including the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects involved. The presence of external forces, such as friction, can also influence the outcome of a collision.

4. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

Momentum is conserved in a collision, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. This is due to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. What real-life applications use the principles of physics collisions?

Physics collisions have many practical applications, such as in car crashes, sports, and engineering. Understanding the principles of collisions can help engineers design safer cars and buildings, and athletes can use the laws of physics to improve their performance in sports such as baseball and billiards.