1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Deformation through compression (stress)

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The total cross-sectional area of the load-bearing calcified portion of the two forearms bones (radius and ulna) is approximately 2.16cm^2. During a car crash, the forearm is slammed against the dashboard. Tha arm comes to rest from an initial speed of 81.9km/h in 7.72 s. If the arm has an effective mass of 1.88kg what is the compressional stress on the arm? Answer in units of Pa.

2. Stress=F/A ,
    additional
    F=ma
    Vf=Vo+at

Conversions
    A=2.16cm^2*1m^2/10^4cm
    =2.16e-4m^2
    Vo=81.9km/h*(1hr/60mins)(1min/60s)(1000m/1km)
    =22.75m/s

F=ma
    a=(Vf-Vo)t=-2.94689.

I assumed I could make it positive since the problem's context is in forward motion not retardation.

F=1.88kg*2.94689
    =5.540kg*m/s^2

P=F/A
    P=5.540kg*m/s^2/2.16e-4
    =25.648.8677N/m^2= same in Pa.

I feel like I put in the appropriate conversions and formulas but when I plug in the answer, I'm told I am wrong. Does it have to do with the fact that it mentions "two forearm bones" in the beginning? If it is, where do I half the cross sectional area?

I hope I'm not too far off.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your method looks fine. Units are OK.

Check the significant digits is about all I can suggest.

Your concern about 2 cross sections should be allayed by the statement of total cross section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?