Elastic Deformation through compression (stress)

In summary, the total cross-sectional area of the load-bearing calcified portion of the two forearm bones is 2.16cm^2. During a car crash, the forearm experiences a compressional stress of 25.6 Pa when it comes to rest from an initial speed of 81.9 km/h in 7.72 s with an effective mass of 1.88 kg. This is calculated using the formula Stress = Force/Area with additional calculations of Force = mass * acceleration and acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. Conversion factors are also applied to ensure consistent units. The discrepancy in the answer may be due to rounding errors in significant digits. The statement of two forearm bones should not affect the calculations as the
fanie1031
1. The total cross-sectional area of the load-bearing calcified portion of the two forearms bones (radius and ulna) is approximately 2.16cm^2. During a car crash, the forearm is slammed against the dashboard. Tha arm comes to rest from an initial speed of 81.9km/h in 7.72 s. If the arm has an effective mass of 1.88kg what is the compressional stress on the arm? Answer in units of Pa.
2. Stress=F/A ,
additional
F=ma
Vf=Vo+at
Conversions
A=2.16cm^2*1m^2/10^4cm
=2.16e-4m^2
Vo=81.9km/h*(1hr/60mins)(1min/60s)(1000m/1km)
=22.75m/s

F=ma
a=(Vf-Vo)t=-2.94689.

I assumed I could make it positive since the problem's context is in forward motion not retardation.

F=1.88kg*2.94689
=5.540kg*m/s^2

P=F/A
P=5.540kg*m/s^2/2.16e-4
=25.648.8677N/m^2= same in Pa.I feel like I put in the appropriate conversions and formulas but when I plug in the answer, I'm told I am wrong. Does it have to do with the fact that it mentions "two forearm bones" in the beginning? If it is, where do I half the cross sectional area?

I hope I'm not too far off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks fine. Units are OK.

Check the significant digits is about all I can suggest.

Your concern about 2 cross sections should be allayed by the statement of total cross section.

Your calculations and conversions look correct. It is possible that the discrepancy in your answer could be due to rounding errors. When using conversions, it is important to carry out the full calculation without rounding until the final answer. This ensures that the final answer is as accurate as possible.

Regarding the mention of two forearm bones, it is important to consider the total cross-sectional area of both bones when calculating the stress. In this case, it seems that the 2.16cm^2 already takes into account the total area of both bones. If you are unsure, you can always clarify with the person who provided the problem.

Overall, your approach and calculations seem correct. If you are still unsure about your answer, it would be best to double check with a teacher or another scientist for confirmation.

1. What is elastic deformation through compression?

Elastic deformation through compression is a physical phenomenon in which a material is compressed or squeezed, causing it to change in shape, volume, or density. This change is temporary and reversible, as the material will return to its original shape once the compressive force is removed.

2. How does elastic deformation occur?

Elastic deformation occurs when a compressive force is applied to a material, causing its atoms or molecules to move closer together. This movement leads to a change in the material's shape, volume, or density. The material will continue to deform until the applied force is removed, at which point it will return to its original state.

3. What factors affect elastic deformation through compression?

The amount of elastic deformation a material undergoes is influenced by several factors, including the material's properties, such as its Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio, the magnitude and duration of the compressive force, and the temperature and pressure conditions.

4. What are some examples of elastic deformation through compression?

Some common examples of elastic deformation through compression include squishing a sponge, pressing on a spring, or stepping on a foam mat. In each of these cases, the material is temporarily deformed under compression but returns to its original shape once the force is removed.

5. How is elastic deformation through compression different from plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation through compression is different from plastic deformation in that it is temporary and reversible. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and irreversible, as the material undergoes a permanent change in shape or size even after the applied force is removed.