The coefficient of friction by spring compression

In summary: Then, use the equation W = F * S to find the force of friction. Finally, use the equation Fk = MGμ to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction. In summary, to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction, you must first calculate the work done by friction using the equation W = F * S. Then, use the equation Fk = MGμ to find the force of friction. Finally, solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction by setting the work done by friction equal to the force of friction multiplied by the distance and using the equation Fk = MGμ.
Teacup_in_space

Homework Statement

A box has the mas 50.0Kg. The box slides on a horizontal surface that has friction. The box has the velocity 3.00m/s when its 0.600m away from a spring with negligible mass and the force coefficent 20Kn/m. The box hits the spring and comes to a momentary rest after compressing the spring 0.120m before shooting off into the opposite direction.

A ) [solved] What is the work that the spring exerts on the box as it slows down?
Assuming I did this correctly: Then the spring exerts 144J of energy onto the box.

B ) [Unsolved] What is the coefficent of kinetic friction that acts on the box?Relevent equations include (I assume) Hooks law and the equations of conservation of energy and motion.

W = F * S
F = MA
Fk = MGμ
E = -KΔx
E = 0.5*m*v2What I've done:

Now, I started by trying to evaluate at what speed the box hits the spring based on the compression. I started thinking that I could just use the conversation of energy to connect 0.5*m*v2 = -KΔx and solve for v. But then I thought that this wouldn't be accurate since a small amount of the energy must have gone into the friction over those 0.120m and thus the velocity would be incorrect. I was thinking that maybe I'd use the force that the spring exerted on the box from A) but I'm not quite sure how I should approach this problem correctly.

So to sum up:

Given the compression of a spring hit by a box of mass m how can I calculate the kinetic friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
First figure out how much work must have been done by friction.

What is the coefficient of friction by spring compression?

The coefficient of friction by spring compression is a measure of the force required to move an object over a surface while it is being compressed by a spring. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force between the object and the surface.

How is the coefficient of friction by spring compression calculated?

The coefficient of friction by spring compression is calculated by dividing the force required to compress the spring by the normal force between the object and the surface. This value is then used in equations to calculate the frictional force acting on the object.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction by spring compression?

The coefficient of friction by spring compression can be affected by various factors such as the material of the object and the surface, the roughness of the surface, the amount of compression on the spring, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

Why is the coefficient of friction by spring compression important?

The coefficient of friction by spring compression is important in understanding the behavior of objects on surfaces. It is used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing machines and predicting the movement of objects under different conditions.

How can the coefficient of friction by spring compression be measured?

The coefficient of friction by spring compression can be measured using various methods, such as using a spring scale to measure the force required to compress the spring, and using a force meter to measure the normal force between the object and the surface. These values can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction by spring compression.