1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic rod problem (having some math issue)

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    Capture.PNG 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I figured out the first part of the question, proving why |t| equals 1, but I have trouble solving the next part of the problem. I expressed F(r(s)) in terms of theta, but I cannot solve for a, b, and c using the equation I derived.

2. Relevant equations

Free energy minimization.
    Change of variable for a 2D geometry

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first attemtped to convert the given equation F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2) using polar coordinate.
    In order to replace (d2r/ds2)^2, I differentiated dr/ds=(cosθ(s),sinθ(s)) respect to s.
    (d2r/ds2)^2=(-dθ/ds *sinθ(s), dθ/ds*cosθ(s))^2 = (dθ/ds)^2*sin^2(θ(s))+(dθ/ds)^2*cos^2(θ(s))=(dθ/ds)^2.

Then to replace ds, ds=dθ*ds/dθ.
    Eventually I turned F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2,s=0 to L) into F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds), θ=θ(0) to θ(l))
    Is this correct?? Well, I thought it was a very simple and beautiful answer, but I could not solve the next problem using this equation.

I do not know how I can minimize F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds), θ=θ(0) to θ(l)) when θ is given as the polynomial equation. By plugging in the polynomial equation,
    θ=b*s+c*s^2, a=0 due to initial condition θ(0)=0
    dθ/ds==s+2cs

F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=F=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs)). Then I expressed 'b' in terms of c using the initial condition θ(l)=0;

This is where I am stuck... Could you please help me .. I have been struggling with it all day long.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

OK

Did you overlook that ##\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{s}}## is squared in the expression for F?

This is not the correct expression for dθ/ds. Typo?

Overall, your approach looks correct. What do you get for F after making the corrections mentioned above?

[Another approach that gets to the answer faster would be to use the Euler-Lagrange equation from calculus of variations. But it is not necessary for this problem.]

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    That's a typo, but I plugged in the correct expression to F.

[Overall, your approach looks correct. What do you get for F after making the corrections mentioned above?][/QUOTE]

I still get this same equation, F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=F=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs)), where θ(s)=a+bs+cs^2. I don't know how I can move further from this point..

5. Mar 10, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note the power of 2 shown below.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 10, 2016 #5
    (d2r/ds2)^2=(-dθ/ds *sinθ(s), dθ/ds*cosθ(s))^2 = (dθ/ds)^2*sin^2(θ(s))+(dθ/ds)^2*cos^2(θ(s))=(dθ/ds)^2

Yes, from the above equatoin, I concluded (d2r/ds2)^2=(dθ/ds)^2 .
    But I also replaced ds with dθ*ds/dθ.

ds (d2r/ds2)^2 --> dθ*ds/dθ * (dθ/ds)^2 --> dθ*dθ/ds.

This is how I arrived at F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds).

By differentiating θ(s)=a+bs+cs^2 with respect to s, dθ/s=b+2cs,

F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs))

7. Mar 10, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##s## is the independent variable and ##\theta## is the dependent variable. So, the integration should be with respect to ##s##, not ##\theta##

[Sorry I overlooked your change of variable in the integration. But you need to keep ##s## as the integration variable.]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. Mar 10, 2016 #7

wow... Thank you so much! I feel so stupid haha. I eventually found 'a' and 'c' to be 0, so θ(s)=b*s for the minimum energy configuration, under the constraint that θ(s) is a quadratic equation of s. Do you think this is a reasonable answer? It appears to be a circle to me.

9. Mar 10, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I believe a circular arc is right. At least that's what I got when I worked it. The answer seems reasonable to me. I think the circular arc is the general answer (for these boundary conditions) even if you don't assume a quadratic dependence of ##\theta## on ##s##.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted