Elastric Collisions: Shortcut to Solving

• Thread starter bfr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation discusses a shortcut for finding the velocities of two objects after a collision. The shortcut involves the equations v_1 + v_1' = v_2 + v_2' or v_1 - v_2 = -(v_1' - v_2') and solving for v_1' or v_2' using the conservation of momentum and energy equations.
bfr
I given to objects of masses m1 and m2 and initial velocities v1 and v2, I know how to find out out v1' and v2', their velocities after the collision by settings up simultaneous equations. However, that takes a long time to solve, and there is a shortcut that my teacher told my class that I wrote down on a sheet of paper but then lost. I tried searching Google and haven't gotten any luck yet. I remember the shortcut was something like:

v1'=2((m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2))-v1
v2'=2((m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2))-v2

But I'm not sure. Would anybody know what the shortcut is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just remember this equation for elastic collisions:

[tex]v_1 + v_1' = v_2 + v_2'[/tex]
or
[tex]v_1 - v_2 = -(v_1' - v_2')[/tex]

Then it's fairly simple to plug this into the conservation of momentum equation to find [tex]v_1'[/tex] or [tex]v_2'[/tex]. (solve for [tex]v_1'[/tex] and plug into get [tex]v_2'[/tex] and vice versa.)

This doesn't look anything like what you remember though.

Last edited:
awvvu said:
I just remember this equation for elastic collisions:

[tex]v_1 + v_1' = v_2 + v_2'[/tex]
or
[tex]v_1 - v_2 = -(v_1' - v_2')[/tex]

If I remember correctly that comes from solving:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2[/itex]

AND

[itex]m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2[/itex]

rock.freak667 said:
If I remember correctly that comes from solving:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2[/itex]

AND

[itex]m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2[/itex]

Yeah, energy and momentum is conserved for elastic collisions.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of an object calculated in an elastic collision?

The velocity of an object after an elastic collision can be calculated using the equation v = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved, and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation. Inelastic collisions are also characterized by a change in the shape of the objects involved.

4. What is the coefficient of restitution in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocities of the objects after and before the collision. A perfectly elastic collision has a coefficient of restitution of 1, while a completely inelastic collision has a coefficient of restitution of 0.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some examples of elastic collisions in everyday life include a game of pool, where the balls bounce off each other without losing energy, and a trampoline, where the jumper bounces back up due to the elasticity of the trampoline material. Elastic collisions also occur in sports such as tennis, where the ball bounces off the racket without losing much energy.