1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastric Collisions: Shortcut to Solving

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1

bfr

I given to objects of masses m1 and m2 and initial velocities v1 and v2, I know how to find out out v1' and v2', their velocities after the collision by settings up simultaneous equations. However, that takes a long time to solve, and there is a shortcut that my teacher told my class that I wrote down on a sheet of paper but then lost. I tried searching Google and haven't gotten any luck yet. I remember the shortcut was something like:

v1'=2((m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2))-v1
    v2'=2((m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2))-v2

But I'm not sure. Would anybody know what the shortcut is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2
    I just remember this equation for elastic collisions:

[tex]v_1 + v_1' = v_2 + v_2'[/tex]
    or
    [tex]v_1 - v_2 = -(v_1' - v_2')[/tex]

Then it's fairly simple to plug this into the conservation of momentum equation to find [tex]v_1'[/tex] or [tex]v_2'[/tex]. (solve for [tex]v_1'[/tex] and plug in to get [tex]v_2'[/tex] and vice versa.)

This doesn't look anything like what you remember though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If I remember correctly that comes from solving:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2[/itex]

AND

[itex]m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2[/itex]

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    Yeah, energy and momentum is conserved for elastic collisions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?