Electormagnitics Quests relating coaxil cables and other

• Thread starter vip_uae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cables
In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to a coaxial line. The first question involves calculating the potential difference between the inner and outer conductors, given the radius and linear charge density of the inner conductor. The second question asks for the total effective capacitance of the coaxial line, taking into account the length and dielectric material between the conductors. The final question involves determining the velocity of a particle released between the electrodes, given its initial conditions and the potential difference between the electrodes.
vip_uae
Hey Guys i have tried to attempt some of these questions i just don't understand where to start from i need the main formulas that can help me do these questions thanks alot

a) coaxial line consists of an inner conductor of radius RA = 1 cm
and outer conductor with an internal radius of RB = 10cm. The
internal conductor is charged positively with a linear charge density
of ρℓ = +100 nC/m. Calculate the potential difference between RA
and RB.

(ii) Find the total effective capacitance of the coaxial line described in
(i) if the length of the line is 30 cm and the region between the
conductors is filled with dielectric with relative permittivity of 2.5.

(e) A coaxial line consisting of inner and outer conductors with unknown
radii is located in zero gravity conditions and has a potential difference of
8 kV between electrodes. A particle with a charge of +1 mC and with a
mass of 40 g is located almost on the surface of the central, positively
charged electrode.

The particle is released from its location with zero velocity initially and
starts to move towards the opposite electrode. Calculate the velocity
which the particle will have when it reaches the opposite electrode.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plz guys i need an urgunt help with these quest :(

1)The question appears to be stated improperly. The inner conductor is not of negligible radius yet the linear charge density, instead of the surface charge density is given. But I'm fine if it implies that ρ is the charge density of a ring of negligible thickness around the conductor.

Use Gauss law here to find E. Then use a formula to obtain the potential difference between the conductors. Once you've done that, use a general capacitance formula to determine the capacitance.

2)You're given the potential difference. Use that to determine the work done in moving the charge from one electrode to another. You should be able to determine the final velocity by using a formula and the work-energy theorem.

1. What is a coaxial cable and how does it work?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that is used to transmit high-frequency signals. It consists of a central conductor surrounded by an insulating layer, a braided shield, and an outer jacket. The central conductor carries the signal, while the braided shield acts as a ground and helps to reduce interference. This design allows for efficient transmission of signals with minimal loss.

2. Why are coaxial cables commonly used in electromagnetics?

Coaxial cables are commonly used in electromagnetics because they are designed to have a low attenuation rate, meaning that they can transmit signals over long distances without significant loss of signal strength. They also have a high bandwidth, making them suitable for transmitting high-frequency signals.

3. How do you test the performance of a coaxial cable?

One way to test the performance of a coaxial cable is to measure its return loss. This is a measure of the amount of power that is reflected back towards the source due to impedance mismatches along the cable. A lower return loss indicates better performance.

4. What is the difference between a coaxial cable and a twisted pair cable?

A coaxial cable has a central conductor and a braided shield, while a twisted pair cable has two parallel conductors that are twisted together. Coaxial cables are better suited for high-frequency signals and longer distances, while twisted pair cables are better for lower frequencies and shorter distances.

5. How can I reduce interference in a coaxial cable?

To reduce interference in a coaxial cable, you can use shielding, such as a braided shield or foil wrap, to block external electromagnetic signals from entering the cable. You can also use filters or amplifiers to help reduce the effects of interference. Proper grounding and cable routing can also help minimize interference.