1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of electric field/Need answer checked

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long coaxial cable consists of an inner cylindrical conductor with radius a and an outer coaxial cylinder with inner radius band outer radius c. The outer cylinder is mounted on insulating supports and has no net charge. The inner cylinder has a uniform positive charge per unit length λ.
    Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at any point between the cylinders a distance r from the axis.
    Express your answer in terms of the variables a, b, c, r, λ and constants π and ϵ0.

2. Relevant equations
    E=(1/4πϵ0)(q/r^2)
    q= λ2πr
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation above I got (E= λ/2ϵ0r). I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I only have one attempt left at answering the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did your relevant equations help you in the solution phase ? I see a lot of the problem variables not appearing in there. Please show your steps in part 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted