Electric Charge and Potential Energy

In summary, the change in potential energy will be NON-ZERO in the following situations: the charge is moved perpendicular to all electric field lines that it crosses, the charge is moved along an equipotential surface, and the charge is moved along an electric field line in the same direction as the field. The change in potential energy will be ZERO in the following situations: the charge does not move at all, the charge is moved to the left by 5 mm and then back to the right by 5 mm.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

A charge is moved from one place to another in an electric field. In which of the following situations will the change in potential energy be NON-ZERO?
True False the charge does not move at all
True False the charge is only moved perpendicular to all electric field lines that it crosses
True False the charge is moved along an equipotential surface
True False the charge is moved to the left by 5 mm and then back to the right by 5 mm
True False the charge is moved along an electric field line, in the same direction as the field

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are in bold, the computer says I am wrong, but it doesn't tell me which answers are wrong, can anyone help me out? I got these answers through reading the chapter in my book.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The computer is right. You are wrong. Write down why you believe each question is true or false. Include formula if your class includes mathematical formula. Then someone here will help you understand why your thinking is incorrect.

wildman said:
The computer is right. You are wrong. Write down why you believe each question is true or false. Include formula if your class includes mathematical formula. Then someone here will help you understand why your thinking is incorrect.
I don't think any formula is applicable to this.

According to my book:
1. A charge at rest has potential energy
2. I believe a charge must be moved parallel to the electrical field line
3. Power is equal along the surface so it has potential energy
4. Final position is 0 so potential energy is zero
5. Moving parallel so it has potential energy

any help?

"change in potential energy be NON-ZERO" they are not asking you if the charge has potential energy but they are asking abt the change in potential energy...

benzun_1999 said:
"change in potential energy be NON-ZERO" they are not asking you if the charge has potential energy but they are asking abt the change in potential energy...

im still confused as to whether my explanations were correct or not.

BMWPower06 said:
im still confused as to whether my explanations were correct or not.

Your explanations don't have a whole lot to do with the question. The problem wants to know "in each of these situations, does the potential energy of the particle change?" but your explanations focus on "...does the particle have potential energy?"

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric or magnetic field.

2. What is the unit of electric charge?

The unit of electric charge is the coulomb (C), which is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

3. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured using an instrument called an electrometer, which measures the amount of charge on an object by detecting the force it exerts on another charged object.

4. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the work required to move a charged object from one point to another in an electric field.

5. How does the distance between charges affect electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy between two charged objects is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases.