Electric charges and conservation of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
vex390
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two charged particles connected by a string exert electric forces on one another. One has a mass of 3 grams and the other 6 grams. The string is .04m. The force is calculated to be 50.56N. What is the tension in the string? What is the total energy of the system?

Homework Equations


Newton's laws.
Conservation of Energy.


The Attempt at a Solution



The sum force on each particle is 50.56N, making the tension out to be T = 50.56N.

I calculated the potential energy to be U = 2.022J from earlier in the problem.

The part that I'm stuck on is getting the final velocities.

U(i) - U(f) = k(f) - k(i)

2.022 = k(f)

So I set up the equation as:
2.022 = (1/2)(.003)(v[itex]_{}1[/itex]^2) + (1/2)(.006)(v[itex]_{}2[/itex]^2)

is that right? How would I find 2 different velocities from that? Or are the velocities different?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I use conservation of momentum to find the velocities?