Electric field and electric potential for point charges problem

In summary, the problem involves two 1.80 µC charges located at +/- 0.800 m from the origin and a test charge of 1.30x10-18 C at the origin. The electric field at the origin due to the two charges can be calculated using the equation E=KQ/r^2, and the electrical potential can be calculated using V=KQ/r. The calculation for the electric field involves adding the results of two separate calculations, while the calculation for the electrical potential only considers one of the 1.80 µC charges. The question asked specifically for the field and potential due to the two 1.80 µC charges, so the other charge can be ignored.
sbeal

Homework Statement

Given two 1.80 µC charges at +/- 0.800 m from the origin and a positive test charge q = 1.30x10-18 C at the origin. What is the electric field at the origin due to the two 1.80 µC charges? What is the electrical potential at the origin due to the two 1.80 µC charges? related equations
E=KQ/r^2 electric field
V=KQ/r electric potential

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the electric field i tried plugging in 1.8E-6 C for Q and .8^2 for r then i added it to the same calculation only using -.8^2 in the second part. I am assumming that adding them both up would get the total electric field at the origin. I don't know how the charge at the origin comes into play because the radius is zero at the origin.
I ran into the same issue when trying to calculate the electric potential.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
the question asked for the field and the potential due to the 2 [itex] 1.8 \mu C [/itex] charges, so you can ignore the other one.

can i ask a question?
i'm not finding how to start a thread.
i want to write a story about a star system that has no electro-magnetism.
can anybody enlighten me on what would be necessary for that to come about? (Theorectically)
cheers

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is an electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit of positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts.

3. How do point charges affect the electric field and electric potential?

Point charges are objects that have a single positive or negative charge concentrated at a single point. They create an electric field around themselves, with the strength of the field decreasing as distance from the point charge increases. The electric potential also follows this same pattern, with the potential getting lower as distance from the point charge increases.

4. How do you calculate the electric field and electric potential for point charges?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a positive test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the work needed to bring a unit of positive charge from infinity to that point by the magnitude of the test charge.

5. How is Coulomb's law related to electric field and electric potential for point charges problems?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is essential in calculating the electric field and electric potential for point charges, as it provides a way to determine the strength of the field and potential at any given point.