1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and potential of 2 point charges

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A -2 μC charge and a 10μC charge are separated by 15.0cm. At what point is the electric field zero? At what point is the electric potential zero?

2. Relevant equations
    E=(kq1/r1^2)+(kq2/r2^2)
    V=kq1/r1 + kq2/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main problem is with finding the direction in which the negative and positive charges act on the point where the electric field is 0 and where the electric potential is 0. Can someone explain how to figure out the direction that these charges act? For the electric field, how do you know whether the point is between the two charges, or on either side of one of the charges? I think I can figure out the math from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Obviously, The Electric Fields due to the two charges should point in opposite direction for the net E to be zero at that point. You should draw a diagram and see where is/are the possible places.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Okay, makes more sense now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook