Electric Field as a function of r, evaluating bounds

In summary, the electric field is not constant at r > R. You need to integrate the charge density to find the charge enclosed within a sphere of radius r.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A sphere with radius R has a volume charge density
ρ = ρ0 𝑟⁄𝑅, where ρ0 is constant.

Find the electric field as a function of r, from r=0 to infinity.
Relevant Equations
Eda=qenc/epsilon
Im having trouble understanding the wording to this problem. When it says "from r=0 to r=infinity". My Qenc would zero out. I guess it makes sense that from infinitely far away you wouldn't "feel' the electric field but considering this question leads to 4 other questions I don't think I am approaching this right.

Can anyone help me understand this a little better?
IMG_8416.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
My Qenc would zero out

What do you mean with that ?
##Q_{\rm enc}## is zero for ##r=0## only. It increases with ##r## until ##r=R## and then it stays the same -- all the way.

BvU said:
What do you mean with that ?
##Q_{\rm enc}## is zero for ##r=0## only. It increases with ##r## until ##r=R## and then it stays the same -- all the way.
I was referring to integrating the r on the last step of my work.

But i think i understand what the question is really asking based off what you said. I am basically evaluating the electric field at r=0, r=R ? Past R the electric field is constant.

But what would my limits be for the r component of Qenc?

quittingthecult said:
I was referring to integrating the r on the last step of my work.

But i think i understand what the question is really asking based off what you said. I am basically evaluating the electric field at r=0, r=R ? Past R the electric field is constant.

But what would my limits be for the r component of Qenc?
The electric field is not constant for r > R, rather ##Q_\text{Enc} ## is constant for r > R .

You need to integrate the charge density to find the charge enclosed within a sphere of radius r, where
0 < r ≤ R .

Sorry, I think the wording just completely threw me off. I understand what the questions is asking now. I just confused myself really bad.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge, and is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. In other words, the electric potential is the integral of the electric field. This relationship allows us to calculate the electric field from the electric potential and vice versa.

4. How do we evaluate the bounds for an electric field as a function of r?

The bounds for an electric field as a function of r depend on the specific situation and the distribution of charges. In general, we can use Gauss's Law to determine the electric field at a given point by considering the charges within a closed surface surrounding that point.

5. Can the electric field at a point ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be zero if there are no charges present at that point. This can occur, for example, at the center of a spherical distribution of charges or between two equal and opposite point charges.