Electric field continuity at the surface of a uniformly charged sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
xxbigelxx
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Please calculate the potential for a sphere that is uniformly charged with density ρ0 and also has a radius of R.
a. r<R
b. r>R
c. Is there a discontinuity of Electric Field at the surface? Explain your reasoning.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have attached my work for the first two parts, which I am pretty sure is correct. However, I need help with the last part. I want to say that it is continuous, because of the nature of uniformly charged spheres. However I don't know if this is right, or how to really explain it. This is due tomorrow, so any help (especially if it's quick) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

http://i53.tinypic.com/xpszo7.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org