Electric field exerted at P due to a non-conducting disk

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
binbagsss
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
12
A non-conducting disk has radius 1.25cm and charge 6.55nc.
What is the electric field (magnitude) experienced at a point P - where p = 2cm and is on the x-axis.
The disk's centre is placed at the origin.


I approached this problem using the general formula derived:

k/2Σσ [1 - (1/((R^2/X^2 +1)^1/2))]

However I have no idea what the surface linear charge density should be due to dQ and dR.

Thanks guys, really appreciated ... =]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
… I have no idea what the surface linear charge density should be due to dQ and dR.

ohh! you mean the linear charge density for the ring of radius r to r+dr ?

well, the charge on the ring is dQ = Q times area of ring / area of disc

so the linear charge density is that divided by the length (ie the circumference of the ring) :wink: