Electric field from a gaussian pillbox in an infinite slab of thickness 2d

  • Thread starter Thread starter indigojoker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gaussian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 8K views
indigojoker
Messages
240
Reaction score
0
The question states that there is an infinite plane slab of thickness 2d that has a uniform charge density rho. Find the electric field as a function of y, where y=0 at the center.

inside plane:
[tex]\int E da = 2EA = \frac{\rho A y}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]

outside plane:
[tex]\int E da = 2EA = \frac{\rho A d}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]

The 2d thickness runs along the y axis, and the plane is infinite along the x and y axis.

Is this the right setup?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
everything looks right except I think you're missing a factor of 2... if y is measured from the center... then taking a section center from the center with width 2y... you'll have

[tex]2E_y*A = \frac{\rho A (2y)}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]

same with outside the plane...

[tex]2E_y*A = \frac{\rho A (2d)}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]
 
good point!

I don't know why the E-field would be negative then y < 0?

should the e-field always be positive when dealing with plates? Like for an infinite plane, the E field is:

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon _o}[/tex]

the E-field can't be negative (unless the charge on the plane was negative). So why does my expression give a negative E when i go to negative y?
 
The field at [tex]E_{-y} = -E_{y}[/tex] (where y>0). We took this into account when we did gauss law... that's why we got 2*Ey*A... It was Ey*A + (-Ey)*(-A)... (this is just integral of E.dA)

We were actually taking y to be positive and using the fact that [tex]E_{-y} = -E_y[/tex].

This makes sense by symmetry... if the field at y is upward... then the field at -y should be downward...
 
indigojoker said:
good point!

I don't know why the E-field would be negative then y < 0?

should the e-field always be positive when dealing with plates? Like for an infinite plane, the E field is:
No.

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon _o}[/tex]

the E-field can't be negative (unless the charge on the plane was negative). So why does my expression give a negative E when i go to negative y?

The field can be negative for that case... one side the field is upward... the other side the field is downward. You have to choose a particular direciton as positive... the other side is negative.
 
So in my case:

[tex]E = \frac{\rho d }{\epsilon_o} y[/tex] when y>d
and
[tex]E = \frac{-\rho d }{\epsilon_o} y[/tex] when y<d

where y is the unit vector in the y direction
 
indigojoker said:
So in my case:

[tex]E = \frac{\rho d }{\epsilon_o} y[/tex] when y>d
and
[tex]E = \frac{-\rho d }{\epsilon_o} y[/tex] when y<d

where y is the unit vector in the y direction

yeah. just to be sure though, you didn't use y as a unit vector here right: ?

[tex]2E_y*A = \frac{\rho A (2y)}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]

here y is the distance from the center...
 
yes.

it seems like when I do the same thing for the opposite side, i get the same equation. is it the negative y unit vector that makes the E field negative?
 
indigojoker said:
yes.

it seems like when I do the same thing for the opposite side, i get the same equation. is it the negative y unit vector that makes the E field negative?

yes... By symmetry the field is in the opposite direction. Hence the vector needs to be negative...
 
I have a similar exercise and I'm finding some difficulty in understanding it.
So from Gauss' Law I have
[tex]\epsilon_{0}\oint EdA=q_{enc}[/tex]
I know
[tex]q_{enc}=\rho\,V=\rho\,y[/tex]
But I don't get where do those "2" come from as in 2EA and 2y.
I also fail to understand the difference between the inside and outside equations. The y gets replaced by d but the only connection I know of is that when y=2d it's the end of the plate
 
Last edited: