1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in the overlap of two solid, uniformly charged spheres

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spheres, each of radius R and carrying uniform charge densities +[tex]\rho[/tex]
    and [tex]-\rho[/tex], respectively, are placed so that they partially overlap.
    Call the vector from the positive centre to the negative centre [tex]\vec{d}[/tex]. Show
    that the field in the region of overlap is constant and find its value. Use
    Gauss’s law to find the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere
    first.

2. Relevant equations
    law of superposition
    Gauss Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the field inside one sphere to be
    [tex](r\rho)/(3\epsilon)[/tex]
    in the radial direction. Now for the overlapping spheres, I said that the vector from the centre of the positive sphere to some point P in the interlapping area is [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]. And from P to the centre of the negative sphere, I denoted [tex]\vec{r'}[/tex]. so [tex]\vec{r'}=\vec{d}-\vec{r}[/tex]. So in order for P to be inside the spheres, [tex]|\vec{r}|<R[/tex] and [tex]|\vec{d}-\vec{r}|<R[/tex]. So using the law of superposition, inside the overlap, the electric is
    [tex]E = (|\vec{r}|-|\vec{d}-\vec{r}|)\rho/3\epsilon[/tex]
    in the radial direction, with the boundaries in effect. Now I am stumped here, as I'm unsure how to reduce this to a constant. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2010 #2
    the electric field is a vector so why on earth are you reducing r and d-r to scalars?

4. Oct 7, 2010 #3
    yep, realized my mistake while sitting in my thermodynamics class this morning. It's funny how I usually figure stuff out while I'm not actually trying to do the question.

5. Oct 7, 2010 #4
    k, so I changed the E function to Cartesian coordinates. So in the overlap I got:

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\rho*d}{3*\epsilon}*\hat{i}[/tex]

where d is the magnitude of [tex]\vec{d}[/tex]

And this is under the condition that [tex]\vec{d}[/tex] runs along the x axis.

6. Oct 7, 2010 #5
    sometimes you just need to sleep on it and get a fresh perpective on it in the morning

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?