Electric field inside a cavity within a uniformly charged sphere problem

S_0}.In summary, the problem involves a uniformly charged sphere with an off-center cavity within it, and the goal is to show that the electric field within the cavity is uniform and directed along the line of centers. This can be achieved by using the superposition principle and calculating the charge density within the charged portion of the sphere. The small sphere should be centered at the origin to make calculations easier.
mr.hood

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged sphere (center O1) with radius a and charge +Q has an off-center cavity within it (center O2) with radius b. Show that the electric field within the cavity is uniform and is directed along the line of centers, according to the equation:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon{o}(a^{3}-b^{3})}\vec{S}[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] is the vector directed from O1 to O2 along the line of centers. HINT: Use the superposition principle.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was pretty stumped by this one. My biggest problem here is that the lack of symmetry makes it difficult to think of an appropriate equation/integrand. I thought about dividing the larger sphere along the radius of the smaller sphere to produce two equal hemispheres, but then I still wasn't sure how to find an appropriate integral, because the change in the radius isn't symmetric in any way. Gauss' law is out of the question/irrelevant, too. So where do I even begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by calculating the charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] within the charged portion of the sphere. What would the electric field [itex]\vec{E}_{bigsphere}[/itex] be if the entire sphere was filled with the charge density [itex]\rho[/itex]? What would the field [itex]\vec{E}_{smallsphere}[/itex] due to just the small sphere be if it was filled with a charge density [itex]-\rho[/itex]? What does the superposition principle tell you about the sum of these two fields?To make your calculations easier, I recommend you center that small sphere at the origin, so that the bigshphere is centered at [itex]\vec{S}[/itex]

1. What is the electric field inside a cavity within a uniformly charged sphere?

The electric field inside a cavity within a uniformly charged sphere is zero. This is because the electric charges on the surface of the sphere cancel out any electric field inside the cavity, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

2. Why is the electric field inside the cavity zero?

The electric field is zero because the electric charges on the surface of the sphere create an electric field that is equal and opposite to the electric field that would have been present inside the cavity. This is known as the principle of superposition, where the net electric field is the sum of all the individual electric fields.

3. Does the size of the cavity affect the electric field inside the sphere?

No, the size of the cavity does not affect the electric field inside the sphere. This is because the electric field inside the cavity is determined by the charges on the surface of the sphere, which do not change with the size of the cavity.

4. What happens to the electric field if the charges on the surface of the sphere are not uniformly distributed?

If the charges on the surface of the sphere are not uniformly distributed, the electric field inside the cavity may not be zero. This is because the electric field will be affected by the non-uniform distribution of charges on the surface, resulting in a non-zero net electric field inside the cavity.

5. Is the electric field inside the cavity affected by the distance from the center of the sphere?

No, the electric field inside the cavity is not affected by the distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field is determined by the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere, not the distance from the center.