1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a solid sphere

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a uniformly charged solid sphere whose radius is R and whose total charge is q. I'm trying to find the electric field inside a (r<R).

The correct answer must be:

[itex]E=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{R^3} r \hat{r}[/itex]

How did they get that answer?

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the sphere is not a shell, the E is not 0. And it should be found by considering a concentric Gaussian sphere with radius smaller than R. So by using Gauss's law for electric fields in the integral form we obtain:

[itex]\oint E . da = E \oint da = E (4 \pi r^2) = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore E = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/itex]

For E outside the sphere we use r>R, and inside the sphere we use r<R. But why is my answer so different from the correct result?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In Gauss' law as stated above, what is the interpretation of q?

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

In the first answer, q is the charge spread out throughout the solid sphere, while in your attempt, q must be the charge enclosed by the gaussian surface.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4
    Thank you very much for the hint! The q in Gauss's law is the amount of charge inside the Gaussian surface. The q in the question is the total amount of charge spread across a volume of 4/3 π R3.

I found the charge per unit volume by q dividing by the volume to get:

[itex]q_{per \ unit \ volume}=\frac{q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3}[/itex]

And to find the total charge

Then I multiplied this by 4/3πr2 to find the total charge in the Gaussian surface of that volume. I got

[itex]q=\frac{qr^3}{R^3}[/itex]

Substituting this back into Gauss's equation I got the right answer. I hope this was the correct thinking and approach.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. Sep 6, 2012 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work :smile:

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook