1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field inside an insulating sphere

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1

zgs

I think this should an easy one:

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an insulating sphere of radius R centered on the origin with total charge Q uniformly distributed throughout the volume of the sphere. What is the electric feild E inside the sphere at a distance r from the origin? (i.e. r<R)

2. Relevant equations
    They list Vshpere=4/3 ∏r^3 and Asphere=4∏r^2
    I know E=kQ/r^2=f/q

3. The attempt at a solution
    Multiple choice and I thought it was just E=kQ/r^2. Answer is really E=kQr/R3. Where did R^3 come from? I have to be missing an equation from my notes.. I must have to somehow incorporate the volume.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2
    This requires a little thinking. The Q in the kQ/r^2 formula represents the charge of a point charge. That isn't the Q you're given. This is a fairly standard trick to fool students who memorize formulas without understanding the full meaning of the variables. To be fair, real physicists make the same mistakes sometimes, too.

Tell me: how much charge is enclosed by the chunk of sphere out to a radius r?

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3

zgs

Tricksters. It would still be Q because it is uniform. Right?

Edit: *All of it?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. Jul 4, 2012 #4

zgs

I got it! Ignore the above reply. Vr / VR = r^3/R^3. Multiply that by original equation, and that gets the right answer. So to sum it up for my sake of remembering on the exam; the Q is the whole sphere (a point at a distance) and to get the enclosed chunk I find the ratio of it to Q. -not the most clear summation of thought but I get what I'm trying to say I think. Thank you for getting my brain turning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook