Electric field inside semiconductor diode

In summary, a semiconductor diode is made of acceptor and donor regions and has a volume charge region at x=0 with no free charge carriers. The surface area of the diode is A and the material has a permittivity ε. The total charge in the region -dp<x<dn can be calculated and the electric field in this region can be expressed in terms of dn and other parameters. By solving Poisson's equation, it can be determined that the E-field points in the x direction and is a linear function in cartesian coordinates due to symmetry.
dikmikkel

Homework Statement

A semiconductor diode is made of acceptor and donor dotted regions. In equilibrilum there is a volume charge region at about x = 0. In that region there is no free charge carriers, only single charged. In x<-dp and x > dn, there is no charge at all. The surface area of the diode is A. And the semi conductor material has the permetivity ε. The volume charge distribution is for p: nA and for n: nD

1) calculate the total charge in the region -dp<x<dn and find the relation betweeen dp and dn.

2) Assume you know dn and express the electric field E(x) in therms of dn and the other parameters in -dp<x<dn

Homework Equations

Gauss Law for Dielectrics.
D = εE (Assuming Linear homogeneous material)

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I've integrated over the entire volume and found: [itex]Q_{tot} = -Ad_pn_A+Ad_nn_D=d_nn_D-d_pn_A[/itex]

2) I read from the assingment, that the free charge is 0 in the region -dp<x<dn, and therefore : [itex] \oint\limits_S\vec{d}\cdot d \vec{a} = 0, \oint\limits_S\epsilon \vec{E} d\vec{a}[/itex] = 0

Is there some misunderstanding? And please forgive my bad language.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have a misunderstanding. It says there is no charge in the region x<-dp and x>dn, but you are asked to find the E field in the region -dp<x<dn, where there is charge. The E-field is certainly not zero in this region.

ahh, i see. So i should solve possions equation in the charged region the positive and negative charged seperatly? When i do that i get 2 linear functions in cartesian coordinates(symmetry in y,z directions).

Because of the symmetry you know E points in the x direction, so it just becomes a 1D problem, dE/dx = rho/epsilon0. Rho is a constant in each of the two regions, so you should be able to solve for E(x).

Hi, thank you for providing the context and equations for your homework problem. I would approach this problem by first defining and understanding the terms and variables involved. Based on the given information, it seems that the semiconductor diode has a volume charge region at x = 0, and no charge in regions x < -dp and x > dn. The surface area of the diode is A, and the material has a permitivity of ε.

To answer the first question, we need to calculate the total charge in the region -dp < x < dn and find the relation between dp and dn. From the given information, we know that the volume charge distribution is n_A for p-type and n_D for n-type. Therefore, the total charge in the region can be calculated as Q_{tot} = -Ad_pn_A + Ad_nn_D = d_nn_D - d_pn_A. This means that the total charge is dependent on both dp and dn, and we cannot determine the relation between them without more information.

For the second question, we are asked to express the electric field E(x) in terms of dn and the other parameters in the region -dp < x < dn. To do this, we can use Gauss' Law for Dielectrics, which states that D = εE for a linear homogeneous material. In this case, we have a semiconductor material with a permitivity of ε, so we can write the equation as D = εE. Since there is no free charge in the region -dp < x < dn, we can use Gauss' Law to find the electric field in that region. By integrating over the surface area, we can write the equation as: \oint\limits_S\vec{d}\cdot d \vec{a} = 0 = \oint\limits_S\epsilon \vec{E} d\vec{a} = \epsilon E \oint\limits_S d\vec{a}. This means that E = 0 in the region -dp < x < dn.

In conclusion, based on the given information, we can calculate the total charge in the region -dp < x < dn, but we cannot determine the relation between dp and dn without more information. Additionally, we can express the electric field in terms of dn and the other parameters in the region -dp < x < dn, and we find that the electric field is 0 in that region. I hope this

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that exists around charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles. It is represented by electric field lines and can be either uniform or non-uniform in strength.

2. How is an electric field created in a semiconductor diode?

In a semiconductor diode, an electric field is created by the presence of a p-n junction, which is a boundary between a p-type and n-type semiconductor. This junction creates a depletion region with a built-in potential that generates an electric field.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in a semiconductor diode?

The direction of the electric field in a semiconductor diode is from the p-type region towards the n-type region. This means that the electric field is pointing from the positively charged p-side towards the negatively charged n-side.

4. How does the electric field affect the flow of current in a semiconductor diode?

The electric field in a semiconductor diode affects the flow of current by creating a barrier for the movement of charge carriers. In a forward-biased diode, the electric field is reduced, allowing for the flow of current. In a reverse-biased diode, the electric field is strengthened, preventing the flow of current.

5. Can the strength of the electric field inside a semiconductor diode be controlled?

Yes, the strength of the electric field inside a semiconductor diode can be controlled by adjusting the forward or reverse bias. By changing the bias, the depletion region and built-in potential can be altered, thus changing the strength of the electric field.