1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside semiconductor diode

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A semiconductor diode is made of acceptor and donor dotted regions. In equilibrilum there is a volume charge region at about x = 0. In that region there is no free charge carriers, only single charged. In x<-dp and x > dn, there is no charge at all. The surface area of the diode is A. And the semi conductor material has the permetivity ε. The volume charge distribution is for p: nA and for n: nD

1) calculate the total charge in the region -dp<x<dn and find the relation betweeen dp and dn.

2) Assume you know dn and express the electric field E(x) in therms of dn and the other parameters in -dp<x<dn

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss Law for Dielectrics.
    D = εE (Assuming Linear homogeneous material)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I've integrated over the entire volume and found: [itex]Q_{tot} = -Ad_pn_A+Ad_nn_D=d_nn_D-d_pn_A[/itex]

2) I read from the assingment, that the free charge is 0 in the region -dp<x<dn, and therefore : [itex] \oint\limits_S\vec{d}\cdot d \vec{a} = 0, \oint\limits_S\epsilon \vec{E} d\vec{a}[/itex] = 0

Is there some misunderstanding? And please forgive my bad language.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, you have a misunderstanding. It says there is no charge in the region x<-dp and x>dn, but you are asked to find the E field in the region -dp<x<dn, where there is charge. The E-field is certainly not zero in this region.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #3
    ahh, i see. So i should solve possions equation in the charged region the positive and negative charged seperatly? When i do that i get 2 linear functions in cartesian coordinates(symmetry in y,z directions).

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Because of the symmetry you know E points in the x direction, so it just becomes a 1D problem, dE/dx = rho/epsilon0. Rho is a constant in each of the two regions, so you should be able to solve for E(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook