Electric Field of a Spherical Insulator

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at a point inside and outside a spherical insulator with a given charge density. To do this, you need to use the formula EA = Qencl/εo, where Q is the charge enclosed within a Gaussian surface. To find Q, you need to integrate the charge density ρ from 0 to the radius R of the sphere. If the Gaussian surface is inside the sphere, the integration is done from 0 to the distance r' from the centre.
Stealth849

Homework Statement

A spherical insulator of radius R and charge density ρ = ρo/r2 where r is the distance from its centre. Find the electric field at a point inside and outside the insulator.

Homework Equations

EA = Qenclo

The Attempt at a Solution

What's throwing me off is the charge density. Setting up a gaussian sphere, I don't know what to do to find Q for the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate he charge density enclosed in the Gaussian surface.

ehild

Can you elaborate a little bit?

I'm not too sure what I should be integrating here...

ρ should be in C/m3

To get Q from ρ, I need to cancel the volume... I don't see what to integrate to achieve this though.

Thanks

Charge density is the charge of unit volume. If it is constant you get the charge by simply multiplying the volume with the density.
The density varies with the distance from the centre here. But it is constant in a very thin shell.
What is the volume of a shell if its radius is r and thickness Δr?

ehild

hm,

if i integrate surface area from 0 ro the Radius, that would give me volume..

so if I take the integral of ρ*dA from 0 to R

where dA = 4*pi*r^2*dr ?

Yes, that will be the whole charge of the sphere. Calculate the field from it outside the charged sphere.
If the Gaussian surface is inside the charged sphere at distance r' < R from the centre, you need to integrate from 0 to r'.

ehild

What is the electric field of a spherical insulator?

The electric field of a spherical insulator is the force per unit charge acting on a charged particle at any point outside the insulator. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by the particle.

How is the electric field of a spherical insulator calculated?

The electric field of a spherical insulator can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charged particle and the center of the insulator.

What factors affect the electric field of a spherical insulator?

The electric field of a spherical insulator is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the insulator, the distance from the center of the insulator, and the dielectric constant of the insulating material. Additionally, the shape and size of the insulator can also impact the electric field.

Why is the electric field inside a spherical insulator zero?

Inside a spherical insulator, the electric field is zero because the electric charges on the surface of the insulator create an equal and opposite electric field, cancelling out the field created by the charged particle inside the insulator.

How does the electric field of a spherical insulator differ from that of a point charge?

The electric field of a spherical insulator is different from that of a point charge because the charge is spread out over the surface of the insulator, rather than concentrated at a single point. This results in a more uniform electric field around the insulator, compared to the point charge which has a stronger field closer to the charge and weaker field farther away.