1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of an Infinite Plane

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    1. We are given a static system of conductors and charge. We know that x=y is a plane of equal potential (for example, a system that can give such result is an infinite plate in that plane). Which of the following fields can represent an electric field of such system?

a. [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = az[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] - az[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]
    b. [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = a[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]
    c. [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = a[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] - a[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]
    d. [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = ay[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] - ax[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]
    e. [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = a[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] + a[tex]\hat{y}[/tex] + a[tex]\hat{z}[/tex]

The attempt at a solution:
    I figured that since the plane extends infinitely in the z direction, no field can be present there. This is also because of the first axiom of electrostatics relating to the flux being outward normal to the plane. Therefore, choice e is eliminated. In fact, the z axis should have no effect on the field. a is also eliminated.
    Also, choice b has no dependency on the y axis, but the E field should be partially dependent on it...b is eliminated.
    We also know that the electric field due to an infinitely charged plane is constant. I want to say that the answer is therefore c...I am lead me to believe that choice d can be eliminated, but I'm not sure. I'm stuck between c and d.
    Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2010 #2
    Some quick things you should know:

You must have,

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{E} = 0[/tex]

if there even exists a potential.

Also, you know the electric field will be perpendicular to an equipotential. So take the cross product of the electric field with a vector perp to the x=y plane (cross products of parallel vectors should be 0).

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. May 8, 2010 #3
    If we say that x=y, then the method of taking a cross product between a vector perpendicular to the plate and the E-field works for both c and d, doesn't it? Or did I just miss something when I did it?

5. May 8, 2010 #4
    It can't work for both. Just work them out and you will see.

6. May 8, 2010 #5
    The electric fied points away from the plane. The unit normal to the plane is given by "c" with arbitrary constant a. C is the correct answer.

7. May 8, 2010 #6
    It is best if he used the cross product to show the answer is (c) and not (d) since the E-field is perp to the plane, and not give him the answer right away.

8. May 8, 2010 #7
    I agree. I only confirmed it a different way for him since he had already deduced the correct answer but not by the cross product or the unit normal methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook