Electric Field Strength Inside Concentric Uniformly Charged Spheres

In summary, the graph represents the electric field strength as a function of distance from the center for a pair of concentric uniformly charged spheres. The two plausible situations are a positively charged nonconducting thin-walled spherical shell inside of a positively charged conducting sphere and a positively charged conducting sphere within another positively charged conducting sphere. The electric field inside a conductor is 0, and outside it falls off as 1/r^2. The start of the curve at 0 depicts the inside of the conductor, and the negative slope depicts the space outside of the sphere before reaching the walls of the sphere containing it. The first situation may be confusing, but it follows the same principles as the second. The electric field inside a spherical surface charge distribution is always
forestmine

Homework Statement

The graph in the figure shows the electric field strength (not the field lines) as a function of distance from the center for a pair of concentric uniformly charged spheres. Which of the following situations could the graph plausibly represent? (There may be more than one correct choice.)

A positively charged nonconducting thin-walled spherical shell inside of a positively charged conducting sphere.
A positively charged conducting sphere within another positively charged conducting sphere.

c18.5.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I know that the above two are the only plausible situations, but I'm just trying to understand exactly why.

For the second one, I think I understand. The electric field inside a conductor is 0, and outside, it falls off as 1/r^2. The start of the curve along 0 depicts the inside of the conductor, where the negative slope is depicting the space outside of the sphere before it reaches the walls of the sphere containing it? I'm a little confused there...(I hope I'm making some sense at least!)

For the first instance, I'm really confused. I honestly don't know how to conceptualize that one at all.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you understand the second instance, you should understand the first. The electric field inside a spherical surface charge distribution is zero regardless of whether the surface is the skin of a conducting sphere or just a skin of some kind on which uniform charge has been pasted.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field strength inside concentric uniformly charged spheres?

The formula for calculating the electric field strength inside concentric uniformly charged spheres is E = kQ/R3, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How does the electric field strength vary with distance from the center of the spheres?

The electric field strength inside concentric uniformly charged spheres decreases with increasing distance from the center of the spheres. This is because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center, according to the formula E = kQ/R3.

3. Are the electric field strengths the same for both positive and negative charges inside concentric uniformly charged spheres?

Yes, the electric field strengths are the same for both positive and negative charges inside concentric uniformly charged spheres. This is because the electric field strength is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the center, and is not affected by the sign of the charge.

4. How does the electric field strength change when the distance between the spheres is increased?

When the distance between the spheres is increased, the electric field strength inside the spheres decreases. This is because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance from the center, according to the formula E = kQ/R3. As the distance increases, the denominator of the formula increases, resulting in a smaller electric field strength.

5. Can the electric field strength inside concentric uniformly charged spheres ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field strength inside concentric uniformly charged spheres can be zero. This occurs when the distance from the center of the spheres is equal to the radius of the inner sphere. In this case, the electric field strength is canceled out by the opposite charges on the inner and outer spheres, resulting in a net electric field strength of zero.