1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field within a solid sphere

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nonconducting, solid sphere of radius a is placed at the center of a spherical conducting shell of inner radius b (> a) and outer radius c, as shown in the figure below. A charge +Q is distributed uniformly through the sphere, which thus carries a charge density ρ (C/m3). The outer shell carries a total charge -3Q.

Find the electric field E(r) within the solid sphere, i.e., at a radius r < a

2. Relevant equations
    ∫EdA=Qenclosed/Eo

3. The attempt at a solution

E*4∏r^2=(ρ*(4/3)*∏*a^3)/Eo

I thought I knew what i was doing, but now i'm not quite so sure. I know what i have above is not the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Think about how much charge you are enclosing by your Gaussian surface.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    well, i think that i am enclosing something less than Q. Since Q is uniform over the entire sphere. If i am taking only a portion of that sphere, then i think it should be less.

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. well, technically, the charge density is uniform over the entire sphere. You know that a Gaussian sphere of radius a would enclose Q, so how much charge does a Gaussian sphere of radius r(<a) enclose?

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5
    A ratio of what a enclosed. So like, Qr/a?

7. Feb 13, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's a ratio, but not that ratio. Suggestion: first find the charge density ρ in terms of Q and a.

8. Feb 13, 2013 #7
    That's what i tried to start to do with :E*4∏r^2=(ρ*(4/3)*∏*a^3)/Eo

9. Feb 13, 2013 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You have a sphere of radius a and total charge Q. Forget everything else about the problem for the moment. What is the charge density ρ?

Once you have that, what is the charge on a sphere with the same charge density, but with radius r?

10. Feb 15, 2013 #9
    charge density p is charge/volume. That's kinda what i was trying to do. Was i just making it more complicated than i needed to. Should i just find p and then multiply it by the new volume that i am trying to find?

11. Feb 15, 2013 #10

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. that will give you the charge enclosed by your Gaussian surface (since charge density is constant inside the sphere)

12. Feb 15, 2013 #11
    ohhh okay. Well thank you all very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook