Electric flux through one face of a cube with central point charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
crazynut52
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I've been thinking about this problem for a while now, and I can't get it to work out. A 9.6X10^-6 C point charge is at the center of a cube with sides of length .5m What is the electric Flux through one of the six faces of the cube? I know the answer is 1.81X10^5 but I can't figure out how to get there. Please Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: What would the total flux be through the entire cubic surface?

Hint 2: Invoke symmetry!
 
[tex]\oint {E \cdot dA} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Let's say B = the area of one side then 6B = A if A is the total surface area so...

[tex]\oint {E \cdot da} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} = 6b \times E[/tex]

the flux through B is therefore what? (I Realize this isn't entirely correct because I am assuming E and dA are parallel but the answer remains the same through symmetry)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sure is easy when you figure it out... thanks for the help