1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the flux through one face of the cube? Is my answer correct

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point charge Q is placed at the center of a cube of side L .
    What is the flux through one face of the cube?
    Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables Q ,L and appropriate constants.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm getting Q/6e0 , is this correct. Are the units Nm^2/C

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't you think there should be an "L" somewhere in the formula? And what is "C"?

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, this is correct. A simple application of Gauss' law. Your units are also correct, although it may be simpler to express it as Vm (volt*metre).

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the units of electric field are N/C, your units of Nm^2/C for flux seem fine to me.

C = coulombs

Gauss' law says the net flux through the surface is Q/e0, and since this should be divided equally among the six faces, your answer seems plausible.

I imagine that any L-dependence should cancel out, since surface area increases as the square of L, but electric field strength decreases as the square of L

Edit: beaten by one minute!

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No, because they're asking for the electrical flux. The electric field calculation would involve L (and would not be trivial because the cube lacks spherical symmetry). C is coulomb.

7. Apr 30, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Haha. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook