Electric flux through the surface of half a sphere?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
adelaide87
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Electric Field is given by E=(100i-200j+100k) N/C. What is the electric flux through the surface of half a sphere?

(The surface is a hollow bowl open upwards, positive in the z direction, radius of 2).


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ive calculated the surface area of the bowl. I also know I am supposed to use :

Integral: E da

=E A

I am confused of what the question is asking - how do i use the E field when its in the ijk format?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi adelaide87! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ :wink:)
adelaide87 said:
Ive calculated the surface area of the bowl. I also know I am supposed to use :

Integral: E da

=E A

I am confused of what the question is asking - how do i use the E field when its in the ijk format?

you need ∫ E.n dA, where n is the unit vector normal to the surface, and dA is a small element of area :wink:

(but have you considered using the divergence theorem?)