Understanding Electric Force on Q in Relation to Distance d and Charge Q1

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation x^2 + d^2/4 = d^2 and its solution x = sqrt(3d^2/4). The conversation also touches on the notation and variables used in the equation, as well as the concept of finding a component of a vector using the cosine.
adamaero
Homework Statement
Three point charges Q, Q1, and Q2 are separated by a distance d from each other in a homogeneous medium. Find the electric force on Q.
Relevant Equations
Pythagorean theorem
1564865385751.png

x^2 + d^2/4 = d^2
x = sqrt(3d^2/4)
F_1x = sqrt(3)*d*k*Q1/2.
In the solution, where did the "d" in the numerator go??
1564865144356.png

Is my math wrong?

Attachments

• 1564864319710.png
    1564864319710.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
adamaero said:
F_1x = sqrt(3)*d*k*Q1/2.
I cannot make sense of that equation. I think you have some typos, and an unclear notation.
Is that ##F_1x## or ##F_{1x}## on the left?
Why are you multiplying by d instead of dividing by d2?

adamaero said:
x^2 + d^2/4 = d^2
x = sqrt(3d^2/4)
Why are you calculating the distance "x"?

haruspex said:
I cannot make sense of that equation. I think you have some typos, and an unclear notation.
Is that ##F_1x## or ##F_{1x}## on the left?
Why are you multiplying by d instead of dividing by d2?
"F" sub "1x" the exact same in the solution except without the "d".
d2 is in the term "k".

Doc Al said:
Why are you calculating the distance "x"?
I thought that is for the direction of the vector defined by a1 (in F1 = k*Q1*a2).

adamaero said:
"F" sub "1x" the exact same in the solution except without the "d".
d2 is in the term "k".
Hmm... yes I see that is how they have used k in the solution too, but it is very nonstandard. The usual is ##k=\frac 1{4\pi\epsilon_0}##.
adamaero said:
I thought that is for the direction of the vector defined by a1 (in F1 = k*Q1*a2).
A component is obtained by multiplying by the cosine of the angle. You need to divide by the hypotenuse.

Likes adamaero
haruspex said:
A component is obtained by multiplying by the cosine of the angle. You need to divide by the hypotenuse.
That makes sense where the "d"s cancel out...but I don't understand why the Pythagorean theorem can't be used alone.
cos(θ) = (d/2)/d
cos(θ) = 1/2

So it's the magnitude of "x"combined with the direction (defined by the cosine-term), and that's just what makes a vector...and not a scalar?

adamaero said:
So it's the magnitude of "x"combined with the direction (defined by the cosine-term),
No, it's the magnitude of the force multiplied by the cosine. The only relevance of the magnitude of x is in finding the value of the cosine, as x/d (which is √3/2, not 1/2).

1. What is the equation for calculating electric force?

The equation for calculating electric force is F = (k * Q * Q1) / d^2, where F represents the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 * 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q and Q1 are the magnitudes of the two charges in Coulombs, and d is the distance between the two charges in meters.

2. How does distance affect electric force?

The electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the electric force decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

3. How does the magnitude of charge Q1 affect electric force?

The electric force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the two charges. This means that as the magnitude of charge Q1 increases, the electric force also increases. However, the distance between the charges also plays a significant role in determining the overall force.

4. What is the unit for electric force?

Electric force is measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). It is equivalent to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

5. How does electric force compare to other fundamental forces?

Electric force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together, creating electric fields, and governing the behavior of charged particles. On a large scale, such as in our everyday lives, electric force is much stronger than gravity, but on a subatomic level, it is relatively weaker than the other fundamental forces.