Finding the position where the electric field is zero

JohnnyLaws
Homework Statement
Basically, we have two stationary charged particles. The distance between them is 'd.' We know that they have the same charge of 2*10^-6. The objective is to calculate the distance at which the electric field is zero.
Relevant Equations
I think the equation we need is the electric field equation: E = k*q/(r^2), where k = 8.988 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, and 'r' is the distance between a point and the charge that is producing the field
This is the outline of the exercise I did on paper.

exercise2.JPG

So basically, my attempt to solve this involved writing the equations according to the reference frame I chose. The origin is the first charge.

I began by putting the equations on paper:
E = 0=> k*q*1/(x^2)+k*q*1/((x+d))^2 = 0, Note that 'x + d' represents the distance between a point and the second charge.
After solving for 'x,' I obtained a strange result. Following that, I began to manipulate the initial condition, and instead of writing the electric field produced by the first charge with a positive sign, I used a minus sign, and I obtained the correct answer: 'x = d/2'

What I don't understand is why this is working, considering that all particles are positively charged. Shouldn't the electric field always be positive when charges have the same sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnnyLaws said:
What I don't understand is why this is working, considering that all particles are positively charged. Shouldn't the electric field always be positive when charges have the same sign?
The electric fields due to the two charges are equal and opposite at the midpoint between them. The fields cancel out at that point.

Likes MatinSAR and JohnnyLaws
JohnnyLaws said:
Shouldn't the electric field always be positive when charges have the same sign?
Remember that the electric field is a vector. It has magnitude and direction. The magnitude is what is always positive. What is always true about positive charges is the electric field due to them points away from the charges which could be in the positive x-direction or the negative x-direction as you show in your drawing.

Likes MatinSAR and JohnnyLaws

What is the concept of "Finding the position where the electric field is zero"?

The concept of "Finding the position where the electric field is zero" refers to the process of determining the location in space where the electric field strength is equal to zero. This is often done in the study of electricity and magnetism, and it can be important for understanding the behavior of electric charges and the effects of electric fields.

Why is it important to find the position where the electric field is zero?

It is important to find the position where the electric field is zero because it can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and the effects of electric fields. It can also be useful in practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits or predicting the behavior of charged particles.

What are some methods for finding the position where the electric field is zero?

There are several methods for finding the position where the electric field is zero. One common method is to use mathematical equations, such as Gauss's Law, to calculate the electric field at different points and determine where it is equal to zero. Another method is to use physical experiments, such as using a charged particle to probe the electric field and determine where it experiences no force.

Can the position where the electric field is zero change?

Yes, the position where the electric field is zero can change. This can happen if the electric charges in the system are moved or if the strength or direction of the electric field changes. It is important to keep this in mind when studying electric fields and their effects.

How does finding the position where the electric field is zero relate to electric potential?

Finding the position where the electric field is zero is closely related to electric potential. In fact, at the position where the electric field is zero, the electric potential is also zero. This means that there is no potential energy associated with a charged particle at this point, and it will not experience any force due to the electric field.