1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential and Charges Problem

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Point P is at the origin. Charge A is at (-3,0) and Charge B is at (4,0). What is the electric potential at point P. Lets assume they are both positive charges for now, but I am interested to know if and how it changes if either/both of the charges are negative.

2. Relevant equations

I assume I will need to use V=kq/r but I could be mistaken.

3. The attempt at a solution

Once I get both the potentials using V=kq/r can I simply add them together to get the potential at P? If one charge was negative do I subtract the potential from that one from the positive charge to get the potential at P?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    Yes, you can use Kq/r to calculate the potential due to each charge at P. The great thing about using potentials is that it is a scalar and you can just add them. If you were using the E-field you would have to add the vectors which is more difficult. If charge is negative then it makes the potential negative since v = kq/r, so if q is negative then v will be negative as well.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much for the quick help. I thought I was on the right track but wanted to get some expert help :D.

Thanks again

5. May 11, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi buyerat! :wink:
    Yup! … potentials add just like numbers. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook