Electric potential and conservations of energy

In summary, the problem involves four spheres with positive charges and a distance between them. The potential energy between particles along the distance is calculated using the equation U=k(q^2)/d. There is also additional potential energy due to the spheres' position near other spheres on the diagonal, which is calculated using the equation U=k(q^2)/√(2(d^2). The total potential energy is then determined by adding the individual potential energies for each sphere. The final equation used to solve for the speed is Utotal=0.5mv^2(1+1+1+1). However, there may be errors in the calculations as several different values were obtained.
maiad

Homework Statement

The four 2.23 g spheres shown below have q+ve=15.0 nC and d=3.28 cm. The spheres are released simultaneously and allowed to move away from each other. What is the speed of each sphere when they are very far apart?

http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/kn/Graph29/kn-pic2978.png

Homework Equations

U=Kqq/r
U=0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 2U=k(q^2)/d (potential energy between particles along d)
2. U=k(q^2)/√(2(d^2) (potential energy of the particles across form each other)
3.U(total)=2mv^2 (assuming the particles would have the same velocity)

i then solved for velocity but i didn't get the right answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2U=k(q^2)/d would be the PE due to q's position near two other q's. But there is additional PE due to its position near the third q on the diagonal. Try adding that in.

i did that in step 2 where the radius is √2(d^2)

Oops, I didn't sort that out. So you ended up with U = (2.707*kq²/(d²), did you?

i got U=Kq^2/√(2*d^2)

Don't we have total U = U due to q + U due to other q + U due to diagonal q ?
U = kq²/d² + kq²/d² + kq²/(√2d²)

yea that's what i got for the sum of the total energy. and i equated that to 2mv^2

are you using 2mv^2 because there are four spheres? I think what you calculated is the PE for one sphere right?

That is correct

Okay, so we agree on U = (2.707*kq²/(d²) ?
Isn't it ½mv² rather than 2mv² ?

It'll be Utotal=0.5mv^2(1+1+1+1) since there's four spheres and it will simplify to 2mv^2

how'd you get 2.7*kq^2 on the numerator?

You're looking for the velocity of only one sphere, so shouldn't be 1/2mv^2

so dosen't that mean i have to dive the total energy by 4 also?

No, you have already found the PE for just one sphere due to the other 3. I haven't checked numbers but your method looks sound.

when i do it... my answer keeps coming up to 0.193 m/s so it would be nice if someone can confirm this :D

I also tried what you suggested but it's still incorrect

1 + 1 + 1/root 2 = 2.707 is what I get.
My final answer for the speed is a little over 2 m/s.
Maybe show your work so we can critique. I often make mistakes in calcs now.

U=(8.98e9)(15e-9)^2 /0.0328
=6.16e-5
=2(U)
=1.23e-4
U(diagonal)=(8.98e9)(15e-9)^2/(d*sqrt(2))
=4.35e-5
Utotal=(1.23e-4)+(4.35e-5)
=(1.67e-4)

1.67e-4=2(2.23e-3 kg)v^2
v=0.193 m/s

the velocity of 2 m/s is also incorrect sadly ;(

U=(8.98e9)(15e-9)^2 /0.0328
=6.16e-5
=2(U)
I don't understand why you say U = 2U.
Why did you leave out the factor of 2.707 in finding U?
Oh, you did the three parts separately instead of just multiplying by 2.707. Or did you? Check to see if the total works out to U = 2.707*kq²/d.

Someone pointed out that this kq²/d is the energy of the ONE charge, but you are still using Ek = 2mv² !

I found a mistake in my work; now getting an answer about half way between 1 and 2 m/s.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charge in an electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force exerted on a charge by other charges in its vicinity.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and energy?

There is a direct relationship between electric potential and energy. The change in electric potential energy of a charge moving between two points is equal to the work done by the electric field on the charge, which is equivalent to the product of the charge and the change in electric potential between the two points.

4. How is electric potential conserved?

Electric potential is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total amount of electric potential energy remains constant. This is because energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

5. How is the concept of electric potential applied in real-life situations?

Electric potential is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the generation and transmission of electricity, in the functioning of electronic devices, and in the behavior and interactions of particles in electrical fields. It is also used in medical procedures, such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms, to measure the electrical activity of the heart and brain, respectively.