1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential at Center of Uniform Conducting Sphere?

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    A hollow metal sphere has a potential of +320 V with respect to ground (defined to be at V = 0) and has a charge of 4.4 x 10-9 C. Find the electric potential at the center of the sphere.

How do you do this. They dont give the radius which would help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Maybe read this link carefully.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html#c2

What kind of surface would you construct in the center and how much charge would be enclosed?

Since you are dealing with a conductor and all points inside are at the same potential how much charge can be in the middle?

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the link, but i'm still very confused i don't even know where to start at. You said since its a conductor all points inside have the same electric potential so does this mean that i can find the potential at the surface and be right. And would the charge enclosed just be 4.4 X 10-9 C given in the question. I'm not too sure about what surface you're talking about.

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have a conductor. So what happens if you put 2 charges together at the center? Will they stay there?

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5
    Oh nice i got the answer, i just tried entering the voltage they gave me and its the right answer don't know why though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook