Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential at Center of Uniform Conducting Sphere?

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    A hollow metal sphere has a potential of +320 V with respect to ground (defined to be at V = 0) and has a charge of 4.4 x 10-9 C. Find the electric potential at the center of the sphere.

How do you do this. They dont give the radius which would help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Maybe read this link carefully.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html#c2

What kind of surface would you construct in the center and how much charge would be enclosed?

Since you are dealing with a conductor and all points inside are at the same potential how much charge can be in the middle?

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the link, but i'm still very confused i don't even know where to start at. You said since its a conductor all points inside have the same electric potential so does this mean that i can find the potential at the surface and be right. And would the charge enclosed just be 4.4 X 10-9 C given in the question. I'm not too sure about what surface you're talking about.

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have a conductor. So what happens if you put 2 charges together at the center? Will they stay there?

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5
    Oh nice i got the answer, i just tried entering the voltage they gave me and its the right answer don't know why though

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook