Electric Potential Car Battery Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a 12V car battery and its total charge of 84 A-h. The first part of the question asks for the amount of coulombs of charge represented by this. The second part asks for the amount of energy involved if this charge undergoes a change in electric potential of 12V. The conversation provides hints and discusses the use of simple formulas and dimensional analysis to solve the problem.
maphco

Homework Statement

A particular 12V car battery can send a total charge of 84 A-h (ampere-hours) through a circuit, from one terminal to the other. (a) How many coulombs of charge does this represent? (b) If this entire charge undergoes a change in electric potential of 12V, how much energy is involved?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd just like some advice in starting the question, simply because I'm not accustomed to working in Ampere-hours. Just a hint would do nicely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere-hours = 1A*1h
so, they multiplied their current by the time
and now just use simple formulas ..
i = change in q/change in time ..

I'm still not sure how thew book gets an answer of 3.0 x 10^5 C

Anyone got any other hints?

I think an amp is 1 coulomb per second. What do you think it is? That's a hint, son.

So for an hour the charge would be 84 * 60?

It would be if an hour were equal to 60 seconds. But it isn't.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, alright, I get it. It's a simple dimensional analysis problem. Yeesh, why didn't I realize that...

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Essentially, it is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How does a car battery work?

A car battery works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. The battery consists of two electrodes, a positive and negative, immersed in an electrolyte solution. When the battery is connected to a circuit, a chemical reaction occurs between the electrodes and the electrolyte, producing a flow of electrons and creating an electric current.

3. What causes a car battery to lose its electric potential?

There are several factors that can cause a car battery to lose its electric potential, such as age, temperature, and usage. Over time, the chemical reactions within the battery can reduce its capacity to hold a charge. Extreme temperatures can also affect the battery's performance, as can excessive use of electronics in the car.

4. How can I test the electric potential of my car battery?

To test the electric potential of your car battery, you can use a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the DC voltage setting and touch the positive and negative leads to the corresponding terminals on the battery. A fully charged battery should read around 12.6 volts. If the reading is significantly lower, it may indicate a low charge or a problem with the battery.

5. What can I do to maintain the electric potential of my car battery?

To maintain the electric potential of your car battery, it is important to regularly check and clean the terminals to ensure a good connection. You should also avoid overusing electronics in your car when the engine is off, as this can drain the battery. Additionally, regular use and driving of your car can help keep the battery charged and maintain its electric potential.