1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential due to two charges

1. Aug 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges are placed on a horizontal line, the first is +3.0-μC located at x = 0.0-m, y = 0.0-m and the second is -4.0-μC located at x = 2.0-m, y = 0.0-m. At what points on the horizontal line y = 0.0 will the electric potential be zero?

2. Relevant equations
    V(r)=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    V(total)=kq1/r1+kq2/r2=0

k(q1/r1+q2/r2)=0

k(3e-6/x-4e-6/(2-x)=0

x=6/7

So there should be no electric potential at x=6/7metres. Is that the only point?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2015 #2
    Your work looks correct . Yes, there is only one point at which potential is zero.

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not quite correct --- you'll want to look at how you've defined "r2."

5. Aug 24, 2015 #4
    Would I get another valid answer if I first used:

k(3e-6/x-4e-6/(2-x)=0

then used:

k(3e-6/(2-x)-4e-6/x=0
    ?

6. Aug 24, 2015 #5
    No . The answer would remain same i.e point of zero potential will be at a distance (6/7)m from +3.0-μC .

In the latter case ,you are taking 'x' to be the distance of point of zero potential from -4.0-μC .Here you will get x=(8/7)m .Again this point will be at a distance (2-x) i.e (6/7)m from +3.0-μC .

The answer remains same .

7. Aug 24, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have two charges, opposite in sign, separated by a distance of two meters; at all points on the two meter line segment between those two opposite sign charges there is a non-zero force on any non-zero test charge resulting from the simultaneous attraction and repulsion of the test charge by the two given charges.

8. Aug 24, 2015 #7
    @Mnemonic ,

There is something more you need to do . There might be another solution to this problem.

Consider a point to the left of +3.0-μC at a distance 'x' . Apply the appropriate condition , as you did in the OP .What do you get ?

9. Aug 24, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, r is the distance from the charge, a positive quantity. x is the position along the x axis. If x is positive, 2-x can be both positive and negative, You need to take the absolute value. x can be also negative. So you have to take the absolute values r1=|x|, r2=|2-x|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted